Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article
Home > News > Report

Orissa Chlorine leak kills 1, 100 ill

Giridhar Gopal in Bhubaneswar | September 03, 2005 11:05 IST
Last Updated: September 03, 2005 14:14 IST


One persondied and over a 100 people fell sick when chlorine gas leaked from a filter house in Orissa's Sambalpur town on Friday night.

Residents said the gas, storedfor cleaning drinking water, started leaking in the evening and later spread alarmingly, creating panic among the residents living around the filter house.

The police was informed of the incident around 9 pm.

"Over a 100 people have been moved to the Veer Surendra Sai medical college hospital at Burla for treatment," deputy district police chief Gopal Tripathy told rediff.

One person, Sadananda Girla, died on his way to hospital. All others, who were hospitalised, were out of danger, he added.

Raghunath Pradhan, additional district magistrate, Sambalpur, said an inquiry was being conducted into the mishap.

The local sub-collector, executive engineer, public health department and sub-divisional police officer would jointly conduct the probe, he added.





Share your comments

Advertisement






Copyright 2005 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.