Home > News > PTI
Red Fort case: A timeline
October 31, 2005 16:51 IST
Following is the chronology of events in the Red Fort attack case.
- December 22, 2000: Six Lashkar-e-Toiba militants sneak into the Red Fort and open indiscriminate fire on the guards of the Seventh Battalion of Rajputana rifles killing two jawans and a civilian.
- December 26, 2000: Prime suspect and Pakistani LeT militant Mohammad Ashfaq alias Arif along with his wife Rahmana Yousuf Farooqui are arrested after an encounter in Jamia Nagar area of South Delhi. Delhi Police unravel the conspiracy.
- Two Let militant involved in the attack, Abu Shyamal and Abu Sufian killed in encounter in Okhla in South Delhi and Srinagar respectively.
- February 20, 2001: Delhi police files chargesheet against Ashfaq and 21 other accused.
- March 25, 2001: Delhi police files supplementary chargesheet against Ashfaq adding more sections under Indian Penal Code.
- September 11, 2001: A Special Court begins trial against 11 of the 22 accused. Eight accused declared proclaimed offenders while three others were earlier killed in separate encounters.
- May 10, 2002: Accused Abu Bilal, a district commander of LeT killed in the Nizamuddin area of the national capital.
- December 4, 2002: Charges framed against all the 11 accused. Ashfaq and two others charged with waging war against the state.
- September 26, 2003: Delhi High court orders day to day trial in the case.
- October 31, 2003: Revised charges framed on the directions of the Delhi High Court.
- September 27, 2004: High court dismisses a revision petition petition filed by accused R K Malhotra, Moolchand Sharma, Saqdaqat Ali and Baba Mohsin Baghwala against framing of charges against them.
- October 29, 2004: prosecution evidence closed after examining 235 witnesses.
- February 2, 2005: Recording of defence evidence begins.
- February 11, 2005: Defence evidence closed.
- March 14, 2005 : Defence arguments begins.
- May 27, 2005 : Defence arguments end.
- October 14, 2005: Special Court reserves its verdict in the case.
- October 24, 2005: Court convicts Ashfaq, six others for charges including waging war against the nation, murder, criminal conspiracy while it acquits four others.
- October 31, 2005: Special court awards death penalty to Ashfaq, life imprisonment to Nazir and Farooq and seven-year rigorous imprisonment to the rest four accused.
Complete Coverage: The Red Fort attack
|© Copyright 2005 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.|