|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Delhi govt doubles compensation
October 31, 2005 14:42 IST
Last Updated: October 31, 2005 17:55 IST
Delhi government on Monday doubled the compensation for those killed in the serial blasts to Rs 2 lakh, even as it rewarded the driver and conductor of a city bus with Rs 2 lakh each for averting a major tragedy by throwing away the bomb placed in it on the fateful day.
The Delhi cabinet, at its meeting chaired by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, decided to enhance the compensation amount for those killed in a terrorist attack from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 2 lakh, which would be applicable to Saturday's bomb blasts as well.
The centre had earlier announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh for the next of kin of those killed in the pre-Diwali terror strikes.
For deaths of minors, the government will give Rs 1 lakh instead of Rs 50,000. For any permanent disability caused due to such an attack also, the compensation has been increased from Rs 50,000 to Rs 1 lakh.
Persons suffering from serious injuries will now get Rs 50,000 instead of Rs 20,000 and those afflicted with minor injuries will be paid Rs 5,000 instead of Rs 1,000.
Briefing reporters after the meeting, Dikshit said the cabinet especially praised the alertness displayed by driver Kuldeep and conductor Budh Prakash of the Delhi Transport Corporation bus in evacuating the vehicle and throwing away the bomb placed in it.
"The driver and the conductor will both be given Rs two lakh each as well as a bravery award, the amount of which will be decided by the Transport Department later," Dikshit said.
While Kuldeep, currently working on a contractual basis, will be absorbed in the DTC as a permanent employee, Budh Prakash
The duo asked the passengers to quickly vacate the bus after noticing a suspicious looking bag left behind in the vehicle, which turned out to be a bomb, which the driver then threw out.
The shops, which incurred losses in the blasts will also be compensated, Dikshit said.
"Currently, the SDMs concerned are verifying their losses, and they will be given a compensation of up to Rs 50,000," she said.
The cabinet condemned the terrorist attacks in which innocent people were killed even as it praised the denizens for the resilience they have displayed in the face of the blasts as also the prompt relief and rescue efforts launched by police, fire department and medical services, Dikshit said.
"The citizens of Delhi cooperated in coping with the tragedy and did not let panic spread. The police, fire and medical services also deserve praise for providing prompt relief to the victims," she said.
The chief minister noted that ambulances and fire engines reached the sites of the explosions in quick time, thus avoiding greater losses.
The cabinet, meanwhile, also decided to increase the number of CATS ambulances in the capital from the present 60 to 100.
Dikshit also assured that the police was providing more stringent security and taking necessary precautions in the capital.
Complete Coverage: Terror strikes Delhi