|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
PM visits blast victims, assures all help
October 30, 2005 21:11 IST
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said on Sunday that the government would provide all assistance required for the treatment of those injured in the serial blasts, even as he faced angry relatives of victims at the Safdarjung Hospital, who complained that they were not allowed to meet their kin for hours.
Dr Singh, who visited the hospital where most of the injured from Saturday's blasts are admitted, said, "We wish to assure all the patients, their relatives and our countrymen that the government will do everything possible to restore them to their normal health. Expenses in getting treatment is not a consideration. Human lives are important.
However, some angry relatives shouted slogans against Dr Singh, as he began walking towards his car after addressing the media, complaining that the ward had been turned into a 'fortress'" and they were not allowed to meet their kin for hours.
Dr Singh then walked back towards them and assured all help. Kaushalya Madan, an elderly woman who lost her 26-year-old neice in the Sarojini Nagar blast, was one of the family members Dr Singh interacted with. She said he assured help to the parents of the deceased girl, who was the only earning member of her family.
Earlier, accompanied by Union Health Minister A Ramadoss, Dr Singh visited the Burns Ward where the injured have been admitted after the serial bomb blasts and wished them a speedy recovery.