|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Police say blasts work of single outfit
October 30, 2005 19:42 IST
Delhi police said on Sunday that a single outfit could have been behind the serial bomb blasts and the Inquilab group, which has claimed responsibility for the explosions was connected to Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Tayiba.
The police also scaled down the number of casualties, saying 59 people had been killed and 210 injured. Earlier, they had said 61 people were dead and 188 injured in Saturday's blasts.
"By looking into the timing and process of operation, it seems that the blasts have been triggered by a single group," Karnal Singh, Joint Commissioner of the Special Cell investigating Saturday's blasts, told reporters.
He said an electronic timer device was used to trigger the blast in a bus in Govindpuri but nothing could be said with certainty about what caused the explosions in Paharganj and Sarojini Nagar. About the progress in investigation, Singh said it was 'premature' to say anything now and added that police were awaiting forensic reports about the blasts.
Singh said while no organisation had claimed responsibility in Delhi, the little-known Inquilab group, which said in Srinagar that it caused the blasts, was connected to the LeT. "It is an old organisation formed in 1996. It was not active and we are verifying the claim," the JCP said.
Singh said it was premature to say whether the blasts were connected to the sentencing in the Red Fort attack case. Asked whether police had inputs about possible terror strikes, he replied in the negative. Police were conducting searches in hotels and guest house to identify suspicious persons, Singh said.