|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Additional forces deployed in Mau, no fresh violence
October 17, 2005 13:21 IST
Shoot-at-sight orders remained in force as additional forces were deployed in sensitive areas and peace meetings were organised on Monday to diffuse the situation in the curfew-bound town of Mau in Uttar Pradesh, where communal riots have claimed seven lives.
Additional security personnel were rushed to areas where fresh incidents took place on Sunday and a close vigil was being maintained, official sources said in Mau.
While senior police officials including the DIG (Range) are camping in the town to monitor the situation, meetings of peace committees were being organised to diffuse the tension.
Essential commodities were being provided to the people residing in the curfew bound areas, they said.
So far 32 people have been injured while 180 have been arrested in connection with the riots that broke out on Thursday last over Dussehra festivities.
Meanwhile, the local independent MLA Mukhtar Ansari, denied allegations of inciting violence saying the Bharatiya Janata Party had hatched a conspiracy to trigger communal violence "with a view to gain political mileage and malign my image."
He demanded that the town be handed over to the army for maintaining law and order and registration of cases against the suspended Commissioner, District Magistrate, Superintendent of Police and Circle officer.
Ten companies of Provincial Armed Constabulary and two of the Rapid Action Force had been deployed in the town where senior officials, drawn from neighbouring districts were camping, they said.
The state government has already sounded a red alert in all the eastern districts to avoid any backlash.