Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article
Home > News > Specials

The Rediff Special/Hamid Mir in Islamabad

Death ruled the beautiful mountains

October 16, 2005

I cannot forget October 8 for the rest of my life.

It was 8.45 in the morning when I received a telephone call from the writer Ajeet Cour in Delhi. She was organising a conference of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation writers the next day and wanted to knowwhyPakistan Cultural Minister Muhammad Ali Durrani had declined to attend the conference.

I told her bluntly that the Pakistan Foreign Office had stopped him from doing so.

Cour was angry and asked, "Why did Durrani give us a commitment in writing?"

I had no answer. I told her, "Things are not normal between the governments, and India and Pakistan are playing games with each other."

"You are not part of the government," Cour said, "you have got anIndian visa. I will receive you in Delhi this evening."

I said yes meekly and informed her that I was just leaving for Lahore to catch theflight to Delhi.

I put down the phone, picked up the newspapers, when suddenly I heard the birds weep. I asked my son Arafat what had happened, but he was busyreading the reportabout Inzamam-ul Haq on the sports page of The News.

It was 8.52 when everything in my house started shaking. The great earthquake was in full swing. I grabbedmyson,called out tomy wife and daughterand asked them to run out of the house.

Within seconds, we were standing outside our home.

There was panic everywhere. Many people with childrenin their arms were crying on the streets.

The earthquake continued for more than two minutes. The two minutes feltlike two centuries.

Everyone on the streets of Islamabad was pleading, Ya Allah muafi (Oh God, please forgive us).

When the tremors stopped, I rushed inside my house to collect my mobile phone. I was sure that something very bad had happened.

I noticed some cracks in ourbuilding, butignored them because my family was safe.

I immediately calledmy office, GEO TV, in Islamabad.

Hassan Nasir at the desk told me that the entirebuilding had been evacuated. I askedhim toleave the building immediately.

Within seconds, another colleague, Ashraf, calledand told me that the 11-storey Margalla Towersin Islamabad had collapsed.

It was a great shockbecause many friendslived in the building.

We broke the story on GEO TV within minutes about the collapse of Margalla Towers.

More than 117buildings in Islamabaddevelopedcracks, andmore than 50 peoplediedin theMargalla Towers tragedy.

At11.30 Information Minister Sheikh Rashid issued a statement,saying, 'Don't worry, everything is normal. The earthquake created only a little destruction in Islamabad and Rawalpindi. The rest of the country is safe.'

He was wrong.

I received a call from Murree at 11:50. The caller revealed that the whole of Kashmir was destroyed,from Muzaffarabad to Rawlakot.

Another caller saidBalakot in the North West Frontier Provinceno longer existed.

For the rest of the day, Ireceived stories of death and destruction from Kashmir and the Hazara division.

The government in Islamabad was focused only on Margalla Towers.

President Pervez Musharraf arrived atMargalla Towers with Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz in the afternoon. Manygovernment and Opposition leaders hadgathered at Margalla Towers. Wehave lot of leaders without leadership qualities and that is why we were without any crisis management on October 8.

When thenational mediagathered around Margalla Towers, we decided to rush to Kashmir and Balakot.

I sent one team to Balakot and another to Muzaffarabad.

Late at night, I discovered that the road from Kohala to Muzaffarabad was blocked near theJhelum river because of landslides. Ourteam was unable to reach Muzaffarabad.

I was sure that thousands of people had lost their lives, but the government sources were very careful. Theyestimated the death toll to be not more than 1,000 on the night of October 8.

I did notsleepthe entire night. My telephonekept ringing.

Early on October 9, someone called to say that more than 10,000 people had diedin the Bagh district inKashmir. I was stunned.

I rushed to Bagh. Within two hours, I was at Kohala Bridge.

When I traveled from Kohala to Dheerkot, I noticed that deathruled the beautiful mountains.

Hundreds of dead bodies layon the roads. The tears in the eyes of men had dried. They were struggling to arrange kaffans (coffins) and qabar (graves) fortheir relatives.

I stopped atManasa village. Fifteen boys in a school building had died. People were digging graves for them.

Chamankot was my next stop. The entire village was destroyed. Many injured people were trying to save dozens of dead bodies from the vultures and crows. Iheard cries and complaints everywhere.

I was stopped by some angry people near Arja. They asked, "Mirsahib, where is the government? Twenty four hours have passed, but we have not seen anyone from the Kashmir government in our area."

These people were not aware that thestate government had collapsed and was destroyed in the earthquake.

More than 2,000 government officials diedin the state capital, Muzaffarabad.

Bagh wascompletely destroyed. I had visited this beautiful city a few years ago.

I noticed a man laughing on a bridge. I heard him say, "The police died in the thana (police station) and the qaidis (the prisoners) died in the jailkhana (prison). Hum sab azaad ho gaye (we are all free)." He was aschoolteacher whohadlost his senses because more than 300 students and teachers atthe Springfield School in Baghdied in the earthquake. He was one of thefew survivors.

In the next few hours, I visited the debris of the Government Degree College for Boys. About1,500 boys wereburied in the rubble. There was no machinery to remove the debris. I visited the Government College for Girls. More than 400 girlshad died there. The books, bags and shoes of thestudents wereeverywhere. Many mothers were crying at the debris of the Boys High School. I saw a lot of unattended dead bodies there. The locals told me that the parents of the deadchildren were also dead.

"We are waiting for their relatives to come and bury them. We don't have the time to bury them because we are trying to save the lives of those who areasking for help from the debris," they said.Ilistenedto the voicesfromthe debris. "Ammiji, Abbuji tussi kithey hu? (Mother, father where are you?)." Onefather started crying when he recognisedhis son's voice. There was no equipment tocutthrough the concrete slabs, so how couldhe save his son? That was the dilemma of most parents there.

Many people said when the earthquake struck, theythoughtIndia had attacked Pakistan with nuclear missiles and that is why the earth was shaking. Why did they think so? Because Bagh is very close to the Line of Control and is a target for shelling in tense times.

I told the local people that the Indian government was sending relieffor them, instead ofbombs. Theynodded positively, their smilestaken away by the horrific tragedy of the earthquake.

There is no doubt that the government moved very slowly in the first 36 hours.

The road from Kohala to Muzaffarabad was cleared only on Sunday evening when I was on my way back from Bagh. The state machinery was destroyed completely and the armysuffered heavy losses.

ThePakistan Army's 12th Divisionin Muzaffarabad and the 19th Division in Bagh lost450 soldiers;more than 1,000 soldiers were injured.

The army took 48 hours to recover and startedrelief operations only after that.

I have visited Muzaffarabad many times since October 8.

The city was without any administration and police for an entireweek. The road to the Neelam valley is still blocked. We do not know what happened to the areas which are not accessible to us.

The locals saymore than 80,000 people have diedin Kashmir.

Unfortunately, the armies of Pakistan and India are still busyscoring points. Some Indian Army officers claimed they crossed the LoC and helped Pakistantroops after the earthquake, butthe Pakistan army spokesman alleged, 'It's a concocted and baseless story.'

How unlucky we are.

We need to help each other in thiscrisis, but our army officers reveal war-time mentality. That is the reason why Musharraf refused to accept help from the Indian Army. Musharraf had no problemaccepting help from Israel even thoughPakistan has no diplomatic relations with Jerusalem.

Pakistan is getting help from countries, which are thousands of miles away from our borders, but why can't ourneighbour send us helicopters for help?

If we cannot accept help from India during anatural disaster, then we cannot have genuine friendshipeven during normal times.

The people of India and Pakistan must thinkabout what is wrong with this situation.

In reality, we are still enemies, not friends.

That is the lesson I have learnt from October 8.

Peace activists likeAjeet Cour have along way to go before achieving real friendship.

The international community is ready to help the at least two million victims of the October 8 earthquake. We only lack planning.

I met President Musharraf on Saturday, a week after the earthquake. He was determined to convert the disaster into a gain. He said the Pakistan army's Engineers Corp would play a key role in the rehabilitation of victims with the help of the United Nations and former US president Bill Clinton.

He was aware that thousands of people are moving from all over Pakistan to Kashmir and Hazara with trucks loaded with food and warm clothing, but didn't know how and where to distribute these things. The government has established a Federal Relief Commission to channelise aid.

I met Kashmir Prime Minister Sardar Sikandar Hayat Khan in his tent on the lawns of the totally destroyed PM House in Muzaffarabad. He was passing on instructions to his ministers on a wireless set and writing orders on files.

"Today I am the prime minister of a graveyard, but I will turn this graveyard into a city full of life very soon," he declared.

Electricity and communication in Muzaffarabad have been restored one week after the disaster. Hayat hoped that the smiles on his people's faces will return within months.

There is no doubt that human beings can overcome the losses through high spirits and an iron nerve. They can convert the losses into gain if they are united, committed and work hard.

The Rediff Specials

Share your comments

 What do you think about the story?

Read what others have to say:

Number of User Comments: 19

Sub: India's help to POK

Oct 18 India offered help to Pak instantaneously on hearing the news, even without any request from Pak. But Pak itself has not reached Muzaffarabad/affected ...

Posted by Rajagopalan, TX, USA

Sub: New way to Think

First of all I would like to say that I am from Gujarat, the area which experienced the similar type of earth quake 5 years ...

Posted by Tayee Dave

Sub: Indian Army

Mir is plainly wrong when he portrays this as an Army-Army problem. It was not the Indian Army that offered to help but the Indian ...

Posted by Lionel

Sub: Re. Quake victims...

Hello sir, It was gr8888 article by you and when i was reading it, I can;t tell you the emotions of mine. The quake had ...

Posted by Ravindra Shantaram Jadhav

Sub: short comments

As far as my concern, i and like me all other indian citizens who is same in my mind were also share with your ideas ...

Posted by Najib



Copyright 2005 India Limited. All Rights Reserved.