|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Bihar chief secy to submit Jehanabad report
November 18, 2005 17:28 IST
The Patna high court on Friday ordered Bihar's Chief Secretary G S Kang to file an affidavit before it on the Maoist attack on Jehanabad town.
The court in its order, after hearing a public interest litigation filed in this connection on Wednesday, directed Kang to file the affidavit on December 1 stating why preventing measures were not taken to avoid the jail break despite having intelligence information.
Earlier the court was scheduled to hear the PIL Thursday afternoon, but hearing was not completed. The PIL was filed by Peoples Watch (Jan Chowkidar), a non governmental organistaion.
The court directed Kang to give a detailed report on steps the state government had taken and proposed to take for preventing recurrance of such incidents.
The court also directed state Police Chief Ashish Ranjan Sinha and Home Secretary Hemchand Shirohi to remain present in the court during hearing on December 1.
Earlier, the court had sent a two-member probe team for an on-the-spot inquiry of the entire episode.
Sources in the court said the team, constituted by Chief Justice J N Bhatt and comprising a senior high court officer and chairman of Bihar Bar Council Rajendra Singh, was sent to Jehanabad and had been directed to submit a report .
About 1,000 Maoists armed with a wide variety of weapons swooped on Jehanabad town and attacked five government landmarks, including the police lines and the jail, on Sunday night.
The PIL said that policing in the state had suffered a toal collapse and it was unfortunate that state administration, despite having prior intelligence information about the movement of the Maoists, took no action to thwart their attack.