Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article
Home > News > Report

Police continue to protest against SP transfer in Jehanabad

Anand Mohan Sahay in Patna | November 18, 2005 12:19 IST

Thepolice continued to protest for the third day in Jehanabad town in Bihar against the transfer ofSuperintendent of Police Sunil Kumar by the state government after the daring Maoist jailbreak operation and attack on police lines.

The large number ofpolice personnel on Friday threatened not to join duty till the suspension of S P Kumar was revoked. They had surrendered their arms and ammunition to the incharge of the police lines.

The police personnel have been staging dharna in support of their demand.

Earlier, they gheraoed Jehanabad District Magistrate Rana Awadesh on Thursday and theyalso protested before visiting Chief Secretary G S Kang and Director General of Police A R Sinha two days ago and gheraoed them.

This was first time in state that angry police personnel had protested before the chief secretary and DGP against transfer of the SP.

Police personnel maintained that the SP was made a scapegoat and the blame for Maoist attack had to be shared by the top brass of administration instead of the brave SP, who led them to counter the Maoists on Sunday night.

Sources in district office said that situation is revolt-like with the police determine not to join duty.

The state government replaced SP Kumar with Bacchu Singh Meena, who joined duty in Jehanabd.

Five days after the Maoist attack, Rapid Action Force and Central Reserve Police Force were deployed in town and National Security Guard personnel reached there to launch special operations against the Maoists along with central para military forces Friday.

India's elitesecurity force -- the NSG along with the Central Para Military Forces andBihar Military Police is likely to launch theoperation against Maoists following a go-ahead given by the top officials of the Bihar administration and central government.

The NSG is taking part in the operation against Maoists in Bihar for the first time in Indiasince its inception in the wake ofthe daring Maoist attack on Jehanabad town, which came as a big blow tothe state as well as Centre.

The Central government has sent two squadrons of the National Security Guards for launching an offensive against Maoists in the wake ofdaring Maoist attack on Jehanabad on Sunday night.

Although the state government had already launched combing operation against the Maoists in Jehanabad and adjoining districts of Gaya, Arwal and Aurangabad, the fresh offensive carried by NSG persoonel, considered experts in dealing withbreaking the foot hold of terrorists, might led to some breakthrough.

Till now no breakthrough was reported in case of arrest ofthe Maoist guerillas involved in the attack or any other thing. "NSG along withCRPF, STF and othersecurity forces would hit the Maoists in rural pockets," a senior police official said.

Bihar's Home Secretary Hem Chandra Sirohi toldnewspersons in Patna after the high level meeting, attended among others by Special Secretary to Union Home Ministry A K Mitra andState Police Chief Ashish Ranjan Sinha and other top ranking police officials, that two companies of NSG with a strength of 280 men hadbeen sent to Jehanabadafter theyreached Patna to launchfresh offensive against the Maoists.





Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 1




Sub: Protests continue over transfer

It's common knowledge that cops in India are a bunch of corrupt, inept, incompetent thoroughly-unprofessional ghoons, but their protests agianst an errant SP transfer goes ...


Posted by labrea




Disclaimer

Advertisement






Copyright 2005 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.