|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Ranvir Sena stages bandh in Jehanabad
November 15, 2005 12:56 IST
Hundreds of people including Ranvir Sena sympathisers took to streets in Jehanabad, observing a spontaneous bandh against the daring Naxalite attack even as no arrests were made more than a day after the incident.
Six additional companies of Central paramilitary Forces have arrived here to assist in anti-Naxalite operations even as no arrests were made during overnight raids in Makhdumpur and Barabar Hill areas, District Magistrate Rana Avadhesh said.
Hundreds of supporters of Ranvir Sena, a private militia of upper caste landowners at loggerheads with Naxalites, shouted slogans, blocked roads and staged demonstrations in front of the district jail, which the Maoist guerrillas stormed on Sunday night, killing at least 12.
The protestors, shouting slogans against the administration and the district magistrate, blocked the Jehanabad-Arwal road by placing burning tyres and parking tractors and demonstrated in front of the jail.
Meanwhile, the district magistrate claimed that only five activists of the banned Ranvir Sena have been kidnapped and warned of stringent action against all other escapees if they did not return within 48 hours.
Nine activists of the Sena have so far been reported killed after being kidnapped but bodies of only four have been recovered so far, the DM said. Two policemen, a warder and a Ranvir Sena leader Bade Sharma were killed in the attack.