|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
1000 paramilitary personnel rush to Jehanabad
November 14, 2005 18:06 IST
The Centre on Monday decided to rush nearly 1000 additional Central paramilitary personnel (10 companies) besides deploying two helicopters for air surveillance and air dropping of troops in Bihar following a massive Naxalite attack in Jehanabad.
Admitting security lapses, Union Home Secretary Vinod Kumar Duggal, who reviewed the situation in the aftermath of the incident, said as many as eight to 10 companies of paramilitary forces were being rushed to Bihar for anti-Naxal operations.
The state administration has 24 companies of paramilitary forces engaged in such operations.
"We will try to increase the number of paramilitary forces once they are eased out after the November 19 elections in the state," Duggal said.
Duggal said initial reports suggest that nearly 400-500 Naxalites attacked three places including Police Lines, a college where Electronic Voting Machines had been kept and the jail.
"While the attack was repulsed from Police Lines and the college, the Naxalites were successful in scaling the walls of Jehanabad prison from where they were successful in releasing their men besides abducting 12-40 people of Ranveer Sena," he said, adding 'our aim is to get them released besides carrying out pursuit against the culprits and ensure that it is successful'.
Duggal said two helicopters were being pressed for air surveillance.