Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > News > PTI

33 more suspected meningitis cases reported

May 08, 2005 18:38 IST

Thirty three more people, suspected to be infected with meningococcemia, were admitted to various hospitalssince Saturdaytaking the total number of cases of the disease to 174.

Health officials, however,claimed no deaths due to the outbreak were reported since Friday.

Director ofMunicipal Corporation of Delhi (Hospital Administration) J N Banavaliker told reporters in New Delhi said 56 patients admitted to various hospitals have been discharged.

"Many patients had been admitted merely on suspicion, showing symptoms to that of meningococcemia but not suffering
from the disease," Banavaliker said.

Of the new suspected cases reported ten were admitted in Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital, six in AIIMS, five in Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, three in Guru Teg Bahadur, two in Bara Hindurao Hospital and one each in Deen Dayal Upadhaya Hospital, Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital, Max, Safdarjang, Swami Dayanand, Sanjay Gandhi and Shanti Mukund hospitals.

Meanwhile, of the 15 deaths that have occurred due to the disease, only five have been confirmed by the National Institute of Communicable Diseases as being due to meningococcemia.

Banavaliker said the trends of majority cases coming from Walled City area continued while some cases have also been
reported from trans-Yamuna areas like Shahdara.



© Copyright 2006 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Share your comments

Advertisement






Copyright 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.