|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Mystery disease is meningitis, say doctors
May 03, 2005 20:07 IST
Confirming three deaths due to the outbreak of a deadly form of meningitis in the national capital, the Delhi government said there was no 'epidemic-like' situation but directed that the patients be isolated.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit called a meeting of health ministry officials, representatives of the civic agencies as well as the medical superintendents of the 32 Delhi government hospitals, in which it was decided that separate wards will be
"There is no epidemic-like situation. We appeal to the people not to panic. But the disease is contagious, hence it was decided that the patients will be isolated and separate wards will be created for them," health minister Yoganand Shastri told reporters after the meeting.
Giving the break-up of the suspected cases of "Meningococcimia" reported, the minister said while 34 cases were reported in all so far, 17 were still in hospital, while three persons have died to the disease.
Of the 17 patients, six are in Lok Nayak Hospital, five in Apollo, three in Bara Hindu Rao, two in Kalavati Sharan and
Shastri said while clinical diagnosis of the cases has been done, samples have been sent to the National Institute of
He said it was also discussed whether schools and college be shut down in view of the outbreak, but it was decided there was no need for that.