Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > News > PTI

Did Maharashtra govt favour Shah Rukh?

March 24, 2005 00:42 IST
Last Updated: March 24, 2005 01:23 IST


Bharatiya Janata Party leader Gopinath Munde on Wednesday alleged that film star Shah Rukh Khan was one of the several people whom the democratic Front government had favoured by allotting reserved land in Mumbai for residential purpose.

He demanded an inquiry into it.

Ten Thousand square feet of land in suburban Bandra, located next to the house of film star Shah Rukh Khan, was de-reserved by the DF government in 2003 and sold to the actor to expand his house, Munde told reporters in Mumbai.

The land was reserved for an art gallery in the development plan, he alleged.

Munde said in a letter to Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh he has demanded a retired high court judge be asked to inquire into the matter.

Till the probe is completed, the development of these lands should be stayed, he said.

Shah Rukh Khan dubbed as 'false and baseless' Munde's allegations.

"I have never sought any favours from the government. The land I have was purchased from a private party and hence the question of buying the land from the government does not arise," Khan told PTI.

"The land was bought three-four years ago through the normal course of procedure by the architect. There was nothing illegal about the whole thing as has been made out," he said.

Munde also alleged that 67 pieces of land, which were meant for public utility, were de-reserved for residential purpose. There was massive corruption in land allotment, he added.

"Some of the lands in Andheri have gone to a well known real-estate group, while a PWD [Public Works Department] land in Ghatkopar, too, was allotted to a private builder for residential complex," he said.

Munde said he had raised the issue in the legislative assembly earlier last week following which Deshmukh had assured a probe into the matter provided a list of such lands was furnished.

Today he submitted the list to the CM's office, he added.


More reports from Maharashtra
Read about: Telgi case | Mumbai blasts

© Copyright 2006 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Share your comments

Advertisement






Copyright 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.