|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Hold talks with NDFB, Centre tells Assam
October 21, 2004 19:36 IST
The Centre on Thursday asked the Assam government to initiate a formal peace process with militant outfit NDFB and expressed its willingness to be involved in "tripartite talks".
The insurgent group is suspected to be involved in the blasts in Assam and Nagaland earlier this month that killed over 50 people.
"The Assam chief minister told me that he had received an offer from NDFB and wanted to know if the Union government would participate. We have promised them full support."
The National Democratic Front of Bodoland declared a unilateral ceasefire on October 15. "If the initiative achieves success, the credit will go to them. But if they will have difficulties, we will share them. If it is not successful then the blame will be ours," Home Minister Shivraj Patil told reporters after holding an hour-long meeting with Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.
He said besides discussing how the process should be taken forward, the meeting also
deliberated upon the various issues which could be taken up during the talks between the government and NDFB.
More reports from Delhi
Read about: Assembly Election 2003 | Attack on Parliament