Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections


The Web

India Abroad

Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > News > Report

'Wish we could catch him alive'

K Sivaprasad in Dharmapuri | October 19, 2004 12:04 IST

It was one daring operation. The Tamil Nadu Special Task Force chief K Vijaykumar and his team have only one regret-- they could not catch Veerappan alive.

Also read: Sandalwood smuggler Veerappan shot dead| The Veerappan Saga

"We wish we could catch him alive and bring him to justice. But we are happy that our efforts have finally succeeded," Vijaykumar, who along with dozens of special police teams combed the jungles for many months for Veerappan, told

Police sources said one of Veerappan's informers tipped off the STF on Monday afternoon that the sandalwood smuggler was in the forest area near Dharmapuri.

Also Read

'Extraordinary intelligence operation'

Karnataka to probe Veerappan's political links

The informer said Veerappan would be taken in an ambulance to a hospital.

For the past few days, very quietly, Vijaykumar and his men were working overtime to trap Veerappan. The media had no access to the STF operations. For months, there were reports of the STF noose tightening around Veerappan.

The reports were not off the mark.

In the past one year, the STF team had begun operating more systematically. Vijaykumar, a former commissioner of Chennai, ensured that his team worked under his strict guidance. "He was like one of us, always with us in the forests. It was his motivation and courage which finally helped us kill Veerappan," an STF personnel said.

He said the tip-off that Veerappan would pass by the Papparapatti reserve forest area came in on Monday afternoon.

By evening, STF men spanned across the forest area, which is just 10 km from Dharmapuri.

When the vehicle in which Veerappan was travelling appeared on the road, the policemen flashed a torch. One of Veerappan's associate opened fire. The STF team retaliated.

The encounter lasted just 15-20 minutes. "We never thought they would be all dead so quickly," said a police officer working with the STF.

STF teams were lying in wait for Veerappan at three different spots. "They had no way to escape. They could surrender or get killed," Vijaykumar said.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa is expected to visit Dharmapuri general hospital on Tuesday.

More reports from Karnataka
Read about: Telgi case | H Nagappa Abduction

Share your comments

 What do you think about the story?

Read what others have to say:

Number of User Comments: 4

Sub: Hats Off to Indian Politicians

Indeed its a great achievement of the STF to hunt down the bandit who was elusive for more that 20 years. But what surprises me ...

Posted by Chetan

Sub: Unfortunate indeed

It is indeed unfourtunate that the brigand could not be caught alive. The enormous wealth that was reaped by the illegal operations carried out by ...

Posted by R.Sivakumar

Sub: Veerappan

Congradulations to the STF of TN & K'taka for the successful operation.Well done.Country is proud of all of you. It was good all the associates ...

Posted by P G Gopinath

Sub: Veerappan

STF Chief Vijaykumar gives the story with so many details, they talk so much about Veerappans missing moustache etc. STF Chief also claims that Veerappan ...

Posted by Rajagopalan, USA



Copyright 2006 India Limited. All Rights Reserved.