|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Abandon hostile policy, Iran tells US
November 24, 2004 15:03 IST
Iran Wednesday asked the United States to abandon its "hostile" policies towards it and asserted that Tehran will never dismantle its nuclear programme for peaceful purposes.
"Iran has the right to pursue the peaceful use of nuclear energy," said Seyed Hussin Mussavain, one of main Iranian negotiators for nuclear issue talks with the International Atomic Energy Agency, told reporters at the Iranian Embassy in Beijing, ahead of a crucial meeting of the nuclear watchdog.
"Iran has the right to enjoy the peaceful use of nuclear technology and it will never divert to military purposes," he said.
Iran will have "active" and "proactive" cooperation with the IAEA and oppose bringing the issue to the United Nations Security Council, he said, noting Iran has committed to and implemented the NPT (Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons) safe code and protocols.
Mussavain was here to brief China on the latest progress of the nuclear issue, Xinhua news agency reported.
China, one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, is opposed to the US move to place the Iranian nuclear issue before the top world body and wants to resolve the sensitive topic "within the framework of the IAEA".
During his visit, Mussavain talked to a Chinese deputy foreign minister and other officials on the issue.
Mussavain pointed out that Iran has suspended its nuclear programme, adding that it was an attempt to create confidence for negotiation than a "legal obligation".
"Iran needs the diversification of resources," he said, adding that it was the United States who proposed Iran build 20 nuclear plants in the 1970s.
The United States has adopted hostile policies against Iran in the past 25 years even facing "good deeds" of Iran, he said, emphasising that Washington "should reconsider its hostile policies against Iran and Iran welcomes the no-tension policies between the two countries."
Earlier this month, Chinese Foreign Minister, Li Zhaoxing had visited Iran and held talks with the Iranian leaders on finding a diplomatic solution to the nuclear issue within the IAEA framework.
On September 18, the IAEA board of governors approved a resolution, demanding Iran stop all enrichment programs before November 25 when the IAEA board of governors holds its meeting and asking Iran to verify all pending issues related to the programme.
Top Iranian national security official Hassan Rowhani said last week that Iran would begin stopping all uranium enrichment-related activities in a bid to implement the agreement Iran has signed with France, Germany and Britain.
The director-general of the IAEA, Mohamed ElBaradei confirmed on Monday that Iran had suspended its uranium enrichment programmes, saying that operations at Iran's Isfahan uranium plant had stopped and IAEA inspectors were sealing up some nuclear-related facilities to ensure a full stop of nuclear activities.