|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Kumbakonam: Another fire scare
A Ganesh Nadar in Thanjavur | July 25, 2004 00:24 IST
Last Updated: July 25, 2004 00:25 IST
On Friday night at 9:30pm, people residing near the Sri Krishna School were shocked to see smoke coming out of its second floor window. It was emerging out of a cupboard filled with books.
They managed to put out the fire without the help of the two fire engines that rushed to the spot.
But it was unnerving experience. Only last week, a devastating fire in the school had left 93 children dead.
The origin of the latest fire is shrouded in mystery. There is no electricity in the school, which ruled out a short circuit; it does not appear plausible that the fire was smouldering for a week.
After the fire, books, bags and furniture were strewn all over the place. It was a total mess, which has not been cleared.
Incidentally, since the fire on July 16, the school is guarded by the police round the clock.
More reports from Tamil Nadu
Read about: Cases Against J Jayalalitha | Cauvery Water Dispute