Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > News > PTI

Gujarat refuses to comment on Bilkis case

August 06, 2004 19:53 IST

The Gujarat government on Friday refused to comment on the orders of the Supreme Court to transfer the sensational Bilkis Bano case to a Mumbai court.

"I cannot and would not comment on the matter," Gujarat Law Minister Ashok Bhatt told PTI when asked if the transfer of the Bilkis case was an 'embarrassment' to the Gujarat government after the Supreme Court had earlier transfered the Best Bakery case also to Mumbai.

Advocate Arvind Pandya, who represents some of the Gujarat police officers arrested in the case by CBI said, "We welcome the decision of the Supreme Court and would follow what ever instructions they give."

The CBI has arrested 20 persons, including 12 persons from Dahod district, six policemen and two doctors for their role in the riots case in which Bilkis was allegedly gangraped and 14 of her relatives massacred by a rioting mob on March 1, 2002.


More reports from Gujarat
Read about: Gujarat Riots | Earthquake hits India

© Copyright 2005 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
Share your comments

Advertisement






Copyright 2006 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.