|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Court to frame charges against Salman Khan in October
September 26, 2003 18:45 IST
Last Updated: September 26, 2003 21:01 IST
Expressing unhappiness over the delay caused by the prosecution, a Mumbai magistrate on Friday asked actor Salman Khan to appear before him in a hit-and-run case on October six for framing charges.
The actor is accused of killing one person and injuring four after his vehicle ran over the pavement in suburban Bandra on September 28 last year.
Salman on Friday appeared before Magistrate S Y Sishode and said he was ready for a trial. However, prosecutor R S Khandekar said the case papers had not yet arrived from the sessions court. Moreover, he argued, there was no urgency as several cases had been pending since 1995.
Salman's lawyer Dipesh Mehta objected to the prosecution's attitude and referred to the high court order, which had dropped the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder and directed the magistrate to frame other charges.
He said a sessions court had already framed charges against Salman on May 2 and summoned witnesses on July 2 for trial. However, after the high court dropped the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder, the case was sent back to the magistrate as he alone was competent to try the other charges.
The magistrate directed the prosecution to be ready on October six for framing charges against the accused. Incidentally, he said it was 'unfortunate' that police officers from the concerned police station had not come to the court.
Salman, who had come to the court along with his sister and a friend, appeared calm and composed. When the magistrate inquired about him, he rose from his seat and bowed. Outside, fans had gathered for a glimpse of the actor.
Recap: Upholding the prosecution's step to frame the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder against Salman, the magistrate had last year referred the case to a sessions court for trial as he was not competent to try him (considering the charges against the accused).
The actor had opposed the charge in a sessions court, which rejected his plea. He moved the Bombay high court, which dropped the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder but retained the other charges. In keeping with this directive, the sessions court remanded the matter back to the magistrate saying he is competent to try the actor for the charges he is currently facing.
Salman is charged under sections 304 A (causing death by negligence), 279 (rash driving), 337 (causing injury), 338 (causing grievous hurt) and 427 (causing damage by mischief) of the India Penal Code.
He is also charged under several sections of the Motor Vehicles Act besides section 66(1)(b) of the Bombay Prohibition Act.
More reports from Maharashtra
Read about: Telgi case | Mumbai blasts