Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this article

Home > News > Report

Nasir had plans for Sep 11: Police


Vijay Singh in Mumbai | September 13, 2003 14:36 IST
Last Updated: September 13, 2003 21:47 IST


Abdul Rehman Syed Ali alias Nasir, a prime suspect in last month's twin blasts in Mumbai, had plans for September 11 too, Police Commissioner R S Sharma said on Saturday.

Nasir was shot dead in an encounter in Matunga in central Mumbai on Friday night.

Nasir, police believe, was a founder of the Gujarat Muslim Revenge Force.

Sharma said Nasir had links with the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Tayiba group and the Mumbai police was chasing him for the past eight to ten days.

Sharma said Nasir had trained the group involved in the twin blasts -- Syed Mohammad Hanif, 42; his wife Syed Fahmida Mohammad Hanif, 36; and daughter Syed Farheen Mohammad Hanif, 18.

"Nasir was planning a strike during the Navratri festival too. We had him watched for quite some time now. Our men even went to Hyderabad following him," he said.

Sharma said Nasir may have already assigned a group for the Navratri festival . "There will be a very high alert for Navratri this year," he said.

From the encounter site on Friday, police recovered a diary which led them to Nasir's residence in Mira Road's Naya Nagar area. Here, they found 215 gelatin sticks, 199 detonator shells, 26 alarm clocks, 25 electronic detonators, 14 ordinary detonators and one personal computer.

Nasir, who did not study beyond higher secondary level, was in Mumbai for over a year. His father, aYamini, passed away in Hyderabad recently.

Nasir went to the Gulf in 1996 and workedin Dubai.It was here he came in contact with Hanif.

He returned to India last year and formed the Gujarat Revenge Group.

He was in constant touch with Hanif andin July theyfirmed up a plan to carry out a series of blasts in Mumbai.

After the success of August 25, Nasir, police claim, wanted to carry out more blasts on September 11 -- the second anniversary of terrorist attacks in the United States.



More reports from Maharashtra
Read about: Telgi case | Mumbai blasts


Share your comments


 What do you think about the story?




Read what others have to say:


Number of User Comments: 1




Sub: Well done!!!!!!!!!

Its about time v change our view on the Police.We should support them in all possible ways rather than just pointing fingers on 1 another. ...


Posted by Hanif




Disclaimer

Advertisement






Copyright 2005 Rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.