|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
No more fighting between Indians, Nagas: NSCN (I-M)
January 11, 2003 16:13 IST
In a significant statement, National Socialist Council of Nagalim (Isak-Muivah) leaders said on Saturday that there would be "no more fighting between Indians and Nagas".
"That is the understanding we have reached now," NSCN (I-M) chairman Isak Chisi Swu said after an hour-long meeting with Defence Minister George Fernandes in New Delhi.
He said: "The people of Nagaland have been praying that the leaderships of India and NSCN (I-M) should successfully conclude their talks.
"Nagas now have a much better understanding with the people of India."
NSCN (I-M) general secretary Thuingaleng Muivah said, "The talks were very cordial and the response of Fernandes was very warm."
The two leaders, who arrived in New Delhi on January 9, had earlier met Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and his deputy Lal Kishenchand Advani.
More reports from Nagaland
Read about: Naga Ceasefire