|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Two army officers in dock for leaking battle plans
February 05, 2003 16:55 IST
Taking serious note of the 'breach of security' during the mobilisation against Pakistan last year, the army has initiated court martial proceedings against two officers for 'inadvertently' giving out battle plans of an armoured regiment.
An army spokesman on Wednesday said, "A computer containing classified material was inadvertently sent out."
Disciplinary action against the officers -- Colonel R S Malhotra and Captain Sanjeev Kumar -- has been initiated, he said.
The two officers, army sources said, have been put under arrest till the completion of the probe.
The battle plans of the 6th Armoured Regiment, deployed in the sensitive Chhamb-Akhnoor sector at the height of Operation Parakram, became public when the regiment sent the computers used for battle integration for upgradation to a local dealer.
Though the army unit, commanded by Col Malhotra, realised its folly within hours the dealer, who had replaced the hard disk, had transferred its contents to a new computer, which it supplied to the Jammu University.
The university students became privy to the battle plans after downloading the material from the mainframe computer.
After a student tipped off the local Corp headquarters that the plans had gone public, the army retrieved the hard disk.
More reports from Jammu and Kashmir
Read about: The Road to Peace | Kargil Crisis