Home > News > PTI

Explosion brings down three residential buildings in Surat, toll goes up to 43

August 04, 2003 09:36 IST
Last Updated: August 04, 2003 10:14 IST


The toll in the powerful blast that flattened three residential buildings in Surat, Gujarat in the wee hours of Sunday has gone up to 43, which includes nine women, while the number of injured is 27.

The blast occurred at about 0325 IST on Sunday, on the ground floor of a building in the Varchcha area that housed a unit manufacturing an instrument used in the diamond industry, Additional Commissioner of Police Mohan Jha told PTI adding two adjoining buildings also came crashing down due to the impact of the explosion.

Police officials supervising the rescue operations told PTI that 43 bodies had been pulled out of the rubble, of which three bodies were recovered on Monday morning.

The injured include at least five children and two fire brigade personnel.

A senior police official, supervising rescue operations, said the explosion may have occurred in the manufacturing process in the industrial unit.

Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday had announced compensation of Rs 50,000 to the kin of each of the deceased. He arrived in Surat on Monday morning to take stock of the situation.

More reports from Gujarat


Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Write us a letter
Discuss this article


Related Stories


7 killed in Mumbai blast



People Who Read This Also Read


2 dead in Ahmedabad blast

India's first woman fire officer

Two terror plans foiled in J&K





© Copyright 2003 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.




Share your comments







Copyright © 2004 rediff.com India Limited. All Rights Reserved.