|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Goan again tests positive for SARS
April 24, 2003 01:24 IST
Prasheel Varde, India's first SARS [Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome] case in Goa, on Wednesday once again tested positive for the disease following a second round of tests.
However, five other persons, who were in close contact with him, tested negative.
"This is good news for Goa. It means that Varde is not spreading the virus and Goa is totally safe," said state Health Minister Dr Suresh Amonkar.
"There is no question of taking Varde back into custody, even if he is found positive once again," he said.
Varde was discharged from the Goa Medical College hospital on April 18 after government officials said he no longer posed any threat of spreading the disease. But the hospital sent samples of his blood, serum, throat swab and urine for tests to the National Institute of Communicable Diseases, Delhi, for a second opinion.
Two experts, who came to Goa on April 17, also collected samples from Varde's wife, father and three medical staff at the hospital.
The assembly had debated the issue earlier in the day and the health minister had detailed out all the measures taken to prevent the spread of the disease.