Home Minister Lal Kishenchand Advani on Tuesday informed Parliament that the Al-Mansoorian, an outfit floated by the Lashkar-e-Tayiba, and Jamait-ul-Mujahideen had claimed responsibility for the attack in Jammu, which left 30 people dead.
The incident appeared to have been timed to demonstrate to the world that despite the "global coalition against terrorism", the terrorists were not likely to be cowed down, he said in a suo moto statement in both Houses.
It was not a coincidence that the incident had occurred when US Assistant Secretary of State for South Asia Christina Rocca was visiting the country, he said.
The home minister reiterated that the government remained committed to taking all possible steps to control the militancy in Jammu and Kashmir.
He said the security forces had been taking action against the terrorists and this was the reason that during the first four months of this calendar year 601 terrorists, of whom 190 were foreign mercenaries, were killed.
In view of the gravity of the incident, Advani said Minister of State for Home I D Swami and Special Secretary (J&K) had left for Jammu.
Giving details of the incident, the home minister said while all the three terrorists were killed during the encounter, three women and four men had died in the bus. One person received minor injuries.
In the army camp, he said five men, eight women and ten children were killed. Among the children were six boys.
Among those killed at the army camp were three army personnel. Others were civilians, including family members of army personnel, he said.
Military restraint may not last: Centre
30 killed Jammu terrorist attack
Jammu attack barbaric: Christina Rocca
Terrorists boarded bus near J&K border: Himachal CM
Two outfits claim responsibility for the attack
Pakistan not interested in improving ties with India: Abdullah
Back to top
Tell us what you think of this report