|HOME | NEWS | REPORT|
|November 14, 1998||
Ceasefire announced with NSCN (K)
The Centre today announced a ceasefire with National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) for two months, beginning Sunday, although clarifications were yet to be issued regarding the areas to be covered under the unilateral ceasefire.
A ceasefire agreement is already in force between the NSCN (Issak-Muivah) and the Centre with effect from August 1 last year. That was extended by another one year from the same date.
However, a controversy cropped up whether the ceasefire was restricted to the present state of Nagaland only or was it applicable to all areas that there was a significant Naga population and where militant outfits were also active.
Such areas inhabited by Naga people include parts of Manipur, Tirap and Sangland districts of Arunachal Pradesh and hill districts of Assam.
A defence release said that following the ceasefire between the Centre and the NSCN (IM) from August 1, 1997, the unilateral ceasefire was extended to another militant outfit, the NSCN (K).
Unfortunately, in an incident in Tuensang district on April 7 this year, NSCN (K) activists allegedly attacked a security forces column, resulting in 26 casualties, the release said. Thereafter, security forces resumed operations against the NSCN (K), the release said.
The Centre responded to appeals by the Naga Hoho, the apex tribal body of the Nagas, influential church leaders, the Naga Students Federation, the Naga People's Movement for Human Rights, the Peace Council and leaders and decided to declare a unilateral ceasefire and suspend operations against the NSCN (K) from November 15 till January 15, 1999.
SHOPPING HOME | BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | HOTEL RESERVATIONS
PERSONAL HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | FEEDBACK