Three Kannada films to battle it out this weekend
Three Kannada movies are releasing this Friday, February 1, clearing the confusion that existed in the industry about which movie would make it to the theatres first.
The film Bangari, featuring Yogesh and Ragini Dwivedi, is a tad bigger in terms of budget than the other two films Sandalwood Sa Ri Ga Ma and Stree Shakti which are medium budget films.
Let's take a look at this week's releases.
Cast: Yogesh, Ragini Dwivedi, Ramesh Bhat,
Director: Ma Chandru
Bangari marks the debut of Ma Chandru as direct#8744 he has worked as an assistant in many Tamil films.
Ragini plays the title role of an ambitious village girl. Yogesh plays her love interest in the film, also from a rural background.
"The film is about how a good samaritan's deeds are misused. Bangari also focuses on whether the person wins or loses," director Ma Chandru says, and adds that "the film has love, mother sentiment, action and comedy with Yogi and Sadhu Kokila providing the laughs."
Says Ragini Dwivedi, "I play an outrageous and outspoken girl who wants to get whatever she wants. Bangari is a dominating girl who has a mind of her own. People can expect a different body language that goes well with my character in the film."
A M Neel has scored the music. A M Niranjan Babu, commonly called Speed Babu, is the cinematographer. A Yellappa, a realtor, has produced the film.
The film has been shot on location in Kolar, Malur, Udupi, Bangalore and Kulu Manali.
Image: A scene from Bangari
Sandalwood Sa Ri Ga Ma
Cast: Sindhu Lokanath, Avinash
Director: Sharat Kadri
This film is taking the multiplex route to reach out to audiences all over Karnataka. Based on the response that the film gets, the production team plans to release the movie in single screen theatres in a couple of weeks.
The movie is about an employee working in a corporate entity who resigns in order to make a film. Says Gauri Sharat, producer and associate director of the film: "The movie is narrated through the eyes of a director. It is an attempt to show the goings-on in the film industry and how it functions. We have focused on behind the scenes activities in the film industry."
Gauri says the film is based on the experience and the ordeal that the production team faced while making a film titled Mareyalaare, which was shelved eventually.
Sandalwood Sa Ri Ga Ma, which has touches of comedy, is based on a real life incident and real life characters. Upcoming actress Sindhu Lokanath and senior artiste Avinash play themselves in the movie.
Says Gauri Sharat, "The film talks about whether the film-maker succeeds or not. It is a true story about what an actress goes through in her life as part of the industry."
The film has been shot on a green mat with 70 per cent graphics by creating different backdrops. The remaining 30 per cent of the movie's footage has been shot in Bangalore, according to Gauri. The movie has 72 characters and most of them are newcomers, she says.
Ravindranath is the cinematographer. Keerthan, a software engineer, has composed the music.
Image: A scene from Sandalwood Sa Ri Ga Ma
Cast: Rajeev, Sonu Gowda, Tulasi Shivamani,
Director: Suresh Raj
Stree Shakti, as the title suggests, is about woman power. The story is laced with a social message. The film turns the spotlight on how killing of female foetuses has reached alarming levels in Indian society.
The director of the film, Suresh Raj, has worked as an associate director in 84 films and as co-director in My Autograph, 73 Shanti Nivasa, Just Maath Maathalli and Veera Madakari. He has also directed a film called Prema that had actress Prema herself in the lead.
Explaining the premise of the film, Suresh Raj says, "A man who loves his grandmother and mother expects his wife to love him. So, why is he against the birth of a female child? The film has a message that has been commercially blended into the narrative.
"The film is also a love story amidst labour problems and the distance that exists between estate owners and their workers. The film also talks about self-employment for women and the importance of educating children."
Rajeev, who shot into the limelight as a batsman representing the Karnataka Bulldozers in the Celebrity Cricket League (CCL) last year, is making his debut in a lead role. Sonu Gowda is back after a break.
The film is produced by Sudeep. Popular television cameraman K Shashidhar is the cinematographer. Kempraj is the editor and V Manohar has scored the music.
The film has songs written by well-known poet G S Shivarudrappa, journalist B M Haneef, and V Manohar. Chandru has composed the fights.
The film has been shot in Kalasa, the Kelagooru Tea Estate, Horanadu, Theerthahalli, Shimoga and Bangalore.
Image: A scene from Stree Shakti