rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Movies » Kate Winslet recreates the Madonna look

Kate Winslet recreates the Madonna look

Last updated on: March 10, 2011 15:38 IST

Kate Winslet recreates the Madonna look

     Next

Next

Get your lowdown on what's happening in the world of Hollywood, right here!

Kate Winslet looks like Madonna in a new French cosmetics ad.

The Oscar winner is the face of Lancome, and stars in the latest advertising campaign shot by Mario Testino, reports the Telegraph.

Her flawless complexion may owe a little to the airbrush, as Winslet admitted in an interview this week that she is beginning to show the signs of ageing.

'I'm more aware of things like wrinkles on my face. They're becoming much more pronounced, because that's the muscle I use most when acting,' she told Vogue.

The 35-year-old also said that her svelte frame surprises people who encounter her in real life. 'It seems to me I look very different from how people expect me to be. Clearly they think I'm a great big fat Viking!' she said.


Image: Kate Winslet

     Next

Julianne Moore to play Sarah Palin

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Julianne Moore has been cast to play former US Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin in HBO's new film Game Change.

Based on the best-selling book of the same name by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin, the film is about the 2008 US elections and follows Senator John McCain's presidential bid from his selection of then Alaska Governor Palin as his running mate to their defeat in the general election, reports the Washington Post.

This film will be directed by Jay Roach, director of the Meet the Parents movies. The scriptwriter is Danny Strong, who has won an Emmy for his screenplay of Recount, about the 2000 presidential election.


Image: Julianne Moore
Photographs: Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images
Prev     Next

Charlie Sheen still stands to make $100m off Two and a Half Men

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Even though Charlie Sheen has been fired from the hit CBS series Two and a Half Men, experts have said that the troubled star still stands to make $ 100 million off the show.

The actor is currently engaged in a legal battle with Warner Brothers, the production company for the hit sitcom.

Even though he will no longer appear on episodes of Two And A Half Men, and the show may never produce another original episode, Sheen has already made 177 episodes that will live on and pay him into perpetuity.

'Sheen will make millions, depending on how good a deal he got on his residuals when he negotiated his contract because of all the ancillary opportunities there are for the show,' Brad Adgate, a television analyst for Horizon Media told FOX411.

'Syndication and global distribution of the show are going to be big moneymakers for Sheen,' he added.

If Warner Bros is able to harvest around $ 4 million an episode for the show in domestic syndication, media analysts estimate that Sheen, as the show's leading man, stands to gain approximately half a million per episode.

Depending on how his contract was structured, Sheen could expect a revenue stream of around $ 88.5 million annually from reruns.

Comedy syndication deals are also typically more lucrative than deals for scripted dramas. If an actor is wise in negotiating his contracts, he typically receives a set dollar amount or a percentage from any re-running of their programme.

Two and a Half Men began syndication three years ago, and is consistently ranked as the number one syndicated comedy for adults. The website TV By the Numbers reported that the show last week alone had more than 9.5 million viewers of its syndicated reruns. And that's just in the US.

Two and a Half Men has a large international following and could also live in syndication in 20 languages around the world.

DVD sales and Netflix rentals could also be worth as much as $ 100 million dollars for the show, over the next several years according to media analysts. Of that total, Sheen could gain approximately 10 percent, giving him an additional $ 10 million dollars payday for a show he is now trying to bury.

Meanwhile, the actor has confessed that he's becoming increasingly unstable and urgently needs to address his issues.
 
'I'm really starting to lose my mind. I'm ready to call anyone to help,' the Daily Express quoted him as saying in an interview with Life and Style magazine.


Image: Charlie Sheen
Photographs: Rick Wilking / Reuters
Prev     Next

Gibson may avoid jail after striking plea deal in domestic violence case

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Mel Gibson, who is accused of domestic violence against his former girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva, is expected to avoid jail after striking a plea deal in the case.
 
The Australian actor, 55, has thrashed out an agreement with Los Angeles prosecutors and has made a plea deal in the looming criminal case, according to US reports.
 
Gibson is expected to appear in court on Friday and plead no contest to simple battery -- a lower charge than 'corporal injury on a spouse' which commentators had speculated the actor would be charged with. Gibson has not yet been formally charged with any wrongdoing in relation to his alleged January 6, 2010, row with Grigorieva.
 
According to sources close to Gibson, the actor accepted a plea deal to avoid a prolonged court fight that would be a strain on his family, particularly his children.
 
'I know from almost 20 years as a criminal defence lawyer that sometimes justice can come for a client at too high a personal price,' the Daily Mail quoted Gibson's lawyer, Blair Berk, as saying. 'That is particularly so for Mel, whose right to due process can only be exercised in this case with an enormous media circus attached.
 
'Mel's priority throughout all of this has been that the best interests of his young daughter Lucia and the rest of his children be put first in any decisions made.
 
'It is with only that in mind that he asked me to approach the District Attorney with a proposal that would bring all of this to an immediate end,' Berk added.


Image: Mel Gibson
Photographs: Lucy Nicholson / Reuters
Prev     Next

Captain Jack Sparrow to become an action figure

Prev     More
Prev

More

Johnny Depp's iconic character Jack Sparrow from the superhit Pirates of the Caribbean franchise has been converted into a action figure.

Toy company Lego has created a model of the actor in his pirate uniform for a new computer game based on the hit fantasy series, reported Sun online.

It will be released at the same time as the film series' next installment, On Stranger Tides, in May. There will also be a 3D version of the game available for the Nintendo DS.

The dreadlocked pirate is the protagonist of the blockbuster franchise and Depp had based his characterisation on Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards.


Image: Johnny Depp

Prev     More