rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Movies » Michael Douglas is cancer free

Michael Douglas is cancer free

Last updated on: January 11, 2011 17:36 IST

Michael Douglas is cancer free

     Next

Next

Get your low down on what's happening in the world of Hollywood, right here!

Five months after being diagnosed with throat cancer, veteran Hollywood actor Michael Douglas says he has beaten his illness.

In his first interview since undergoing chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment, the 66-year-old actor said that his tumour is gone and he is confident he has beaten cancer, reports the Daily Mail.

'The odds are, with the tumour gone and what I know about this particular type of cancer, that I've got it beat,' Douglas told Matt Lauer in an interview on NBC's Today show.

Doctors have warned the Wall Street star that he should not be too quick to dismiss concerns that the cancer could return.

But while he still has to undergo monthly checks, Douglas and wife Catherine Zeta Jones are 'absolutely delighted' at the news.

The Oscar-winning actor, who was given just a 50-/50 chance of surviving the stage four cancer when it was first diagnosed four months ago, is already looking forward to making the most of the rest of his life.

'It's put a timeline on my life. I'm 66 now. You know, I'm fortunate I've got a mother who's 88. She'll kill me. She may be 87. My father's 94. So, you know, I feel good about those genes,' he said.

'But it's definitely a third act. And so you're a little more conscious of your time in how you choose to spend it,' he added.

Douglas had been on tenterhooks waiting to see the results after completing his cancer treatment before Christmas.

But last month, doctors told him his chances of a full recovery had increased to 80 percent and he was spotted taking his 42-year-old wife and two young children, Dylan, ten, and seven-year-old Carys on trips to Disney World and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida.

Click on NEXT for more Hollywood snippets

 
 
 


Image: Michael Douglas

     Next

Shakira splits with beau after 11 years

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Colombian singer Shakira has revealed that she and her beau Antonio de la Rue parted ways last summer.

The couple called it quits after 11 years of dating.

'Since August 2010, we made a mutual decision to take time apart from our romantic relationship,' Usmagazine.com quoted her as saying on her blog Monday.

'Throughout this time we have continued to work together hand in hand, have remained close and have kept the details absolutely private until now.'

However, Shakira hinted that they could reconcile in the future.

'We view this period of separation as temporary and as a time of individual growth as we continue to be partners in our business and professional lives. Our friendship and understanding of one another is unwavering and indestructible,' she wrote. 
 


Image: Shakira

Prev     Next

Owen Wilson's going to be a father!

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

Owen Wilson and Jade Duell are expecting a new addition in 2011.

Wilson, who currently stars in Little Fockers, will become a father for the first time at the age of 42.

According to Entertainment Weekly, Wilson and Duell have been dating for more than a year.

'Owen Wilson and Jade Duell are happy to be expecting a baby,' People magazine quoted his rep as saying. 
 
 
 


Image: Owen Wilson

Prev     Next

French screen siren Marion Cotillard is pregnant

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

La Vie en Rose star Marion Cotillard is expecting her first child with French actor and director Guillaume Canet, her partner of three years.

'The child is due this spring,' People magazine quoted a source as saying.

The couple met in 2003 when they starred together in the movie Love Me If You Dare.

The Oscar-winning actress, 35, sports a diamond solitaire ring on her left hand, but the two "haven't disclosed any plans concerning marriage,' the source added. 
 


Image: Marion Cotillard

Prev     Next

Bullitt director Peter Yates no more

Prev     More
Prev

More

British filmmaker Peter Yates passed away in London on Sunday following an illness. He was 81.

He left behind his wife Virginia Pope, a son and a daughter, reports the BBC.

The family will hold a private funeral, according to his agent Judy Daish.

A graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, Yates started out as an actor before becoming an assistant director on such films as The Guns of Navarone and A Taste of Honey.

He made his directorial debut in 1963 with Cliff Richard vehicle Summer Holiday, going on to make episodes of The Saint and Danger Man.

Bullitt, his first US film, followed a year later, casting McQueen as the head of a police unit guarding a man about to testify against his mobster brother.

Yates was nominated for the best director Oscar in 1980 for Breaking Away, and again in 1984 for The Dresser.


 
 
 


Image: A poster of Bullitt

Prev     More
Source: ANI