Ramzan recipes: Welcome to the kebab corner!
It's the holy month of Ramzan and we want to know what's cooking in your home!
Here is the first response from Coomi Selod, who shared two kebab recipes.
First up we have this Malai Kebab preparation (makes 12):
Cook till tender:
- 300 gms minced meat
- 60 gms channa dal
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp coriander (dhana) seeds
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (kaali miri)
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 8 cloves (lavang)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch ginger (adrak)
- 3 cloves garlic (lasun)
- 1/4 tsp chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
Chop finely and mix together:
- 1 small onion
- 3-4 green chillies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small piece ginger
- 1/4 kg thick cream (malai)
- Ghee for frying
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Grind the cooked meat and dal very finely.
- Divide the mixture into 12 portions and roll into balls.
- Make cups out of the balls; stuff a little of the chopped mixture into each cup and seal it, flattening the kebab.
- Heat ghee and fry kebabs till light brown on both sides.
- Warm the oven.
- Beat the thick cream, and in an ovenproof dish lay a thin layer of cream at the bottom. Lay the kebabs on the cream layer. Pour the remaining cream evenly over all the kebabs. Place the dish in the oven and heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped coriander. Serve immediately.
Share recipes and photographs, if possible, of your Ramzan specialties and we will be happy to carry the best ones right here on Rediff.com and in India Abroad. Simply email them in to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: 'Ramzan recipes').
Image: Malai Kebabs
Photographs: Abhinaba Basu
And here's Coomi Selod's recipe for Fish Kebabs (makes six to eight):
- 1/2 kg boiled and flaked fish
- 2 tsp grated coconut
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp poppyseed (khus khus)
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 small egg, beaten
- Ghee/oil for frying
- Add the egg to the ground fish paste and mix well.
- Form into round, slightly flattened kebab.
- Fry in ghee till evenly browned on both sides.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Image: Fish Kebabs
Photographs: Rajesh Karkera