Mother's Day: Kids, 12 fun recipes YOU can try out
Presenting some really easy to make meals for your mom on her special day
Mother's Day is here. So I thought, why not dish out some easy recipes that young kids can make for their moms. I have tried to keep the use of knives and the flame as less as possible. For where it is required, children please take the help of elders.
1. Egg sandwich
- Ask an adult to boil and then peel the eggs for you.
- Once they have cooled down, mash them well and mix in a dash of salt and pepper.
- Heap it onto slices of bread and cover it with another slice.
- Press it down well and remove all the excess of the mashed egg that sticks out from the sides.
- Serve with tomato ketchup.
2. Paneer pizza
- Buy pizza bread and paneer.
- Coat the pizza bread with tomato ketchup.
- Shred the paneer and generously sprinkle over the pizza.
- Over this sprinkle some cheese, oregano and coriander leaves.
- A few minutes in the oven and it will done.
3. Macaroni salad
- Boil a handful of macaroni in water with a little salt.
- Once done transfer it into a bowl and drizzle in some olive oil so that they don't stick together.
- Take cubes of cheese and break them into small pieces and add to the macaroni.
- To this now add scoops of melon and watermelon (just scoop out bits of it from a large slice with a spoon).
- Boil a few pieces of baby corn.
- Break each into 3-4 pieces and add to the salad.
- Toss it all together with a little salt and pepper and serve.
4. Cold cut nachos
- On each nacho piece spread cheese-spread generously.
- Now add a slice of cold cut on it. Use different ones for a variety of taste - ham, bacon, sausage or salami.
- If these don't meet with your taste you can even do boiled chicken shreds or pieces of canned tuna instead.
- Add a slice of tomato on top and serve.
5. Pea buns
- Take 2-3 buns or even pav bhaji breads.
- Cut it from the centre and butter it or spread cheese-spread on both sides of it.
- Boil green peas till very tender.
- Mash it well.
- Add salt and pepper and mix.
- Add heaps of it on one side of the bun and press the other side on it.
- Cut it through the centre so that one bun forms two halves.
- Brush it with warm butter.
- Stick a toothpick through it and add a cherry on top.
6. Peanut rolls
- Get an elder to make a few thin chapattis for you.
- Spread peanut butter generously on one side of the chapati.
- Take some salted peanuts and crush it in a blender.
- Sprinkle it over the peanut butter.
- Add a few coriander leaves and a little chopped onion.
- Roll it and cover half of it with an aluminium foil.
- Serve with ketchup.
Image: Macaroni salad
Photographs: Bill McChesney from USA/Wikimedia Creative Commons
Mother's Day: Kids, 12 fun recipes YOU can try out
1. Butterscotch smoothie
- Get a block of butterscotch ice-cream
- Add dollops of the ice-cream to fresh cream and blend it well in a mixie till a thick mixture forms
- Chill it till it needs to be served
- Pour into glasses
- Garnish with brown sugar and a straw and serve
2. Mango gateaux
- Buy a pack of chocolate or fruit cake.
- In a bowl crumble half the cake till a layer forms.
- Leave the rest for later.
- On the cake layer add chopped mangoes
- Cover the mangoes with another layer of the cake.
- Buy mango ice-cream and let it melt.
- Pour this melted ice-cream from the top to fill the bowl.
- Refrigerate it to set the dish.
- Cut and serve in bowls.
- Instead of a large bowl, the same can be done in smaller bowls.
3. Yogurt shots
- Buy plain yogurt.
- Mix into it some brown sugar and a little strawberry puree.
- Pour the smooth mixture into shot glasses.
- Top with gems or Oreo crumbles on top and refrigerate.
- Serve chilled.
4. Biscuit crumble
- Crumble your favourite cream biscuit into a bowl.
- Use two to three different flavours for best result.
- Now take 3-4 bars of either dark chocolate or white chocolate.
- Break it into pieces and melt it in the oven with a few spoons of butter.
- Once melted, add the biscuit crumble to it and pour it into a flat bottomed dish.
- Decorate with cashew.
- Refrigerate it and serve chilled.
5. Strawberry Chocolate
- Melt 3-4 bars of chocolate in a few spoons of condensed milk.
- Wash the strawberries and arrange them in a dish.
- Pour the melted chocolate over each till they gets coated well.
- Now grind almonds and cashews together.
- Sprinkle it over the coated strawberries.
- Refrigerate it till the chocolate solidifies.
- Serve them in a heap in a bowl.
6. Sweet crunch
- Take a packet of cornflakes and grind it well.
- To this add some fresh cream and condensed milk.
- Stir it in well.
- Add chopped almonds and cashew and a handful of raisins.
- Take cocktail glasses and first put a piece of polo (it adds a nice minty taste to the dessert) at the bottom of the glass and then pour in the cream mixture.
- Garnish it with nuts / chocolate / gems.
I hope all you kids out there have a lovely time making these dishes for your mom. Celebrate with her and have a wonderful Mother's Day.Show your Mother you care by gifting her some awesome gifts this Mother's Day! Jewellery, Designer Watches, Flowers, Cakes and much more - Only @Rediff Shopping. Click to Shop Now!