Recipe: How to make Ammini Kozhukkatai
Rediff reader Ranganayaki Varatharajan shared the recipe with us.
Ammini Kozhukkatai is a tiffin item, prepared on Fridays. It is considered auspicious and offered to Lord Ganesh, says Rediff reader Ranganayaki Varatharajan.
Here's the recipe:
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup urad dal
- 6 green chillies
- Salt as required
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 3 tsp cooking oil
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 2 drops gingelly oil
- 1 spoon coconut oil (optional)
- Soak urad dal for two hours and coarsely grind with salt, asafoetida and green chillies.
- Boil 1 ½ cups of water in a kadhai, add a pinch of salt and gingelly oil .
- Once it starts boiling, switch off the burner, add rice flour little by little (otherwise lumps will be formed) and make a dough.
- Once it is warm, make small balls and place them in an idly mould.
- Make small balls from the urad dal mixture and steam cook for five minutes.
- Heat oil in kadai, add mustard, urad dal, then urad dal idlies.
- Break them into pieces; stir and saute continuously.
- Add cooked rice flour balls and mix well.
- Add curry leaves, coconut and a spoon of coconut oil(optional).
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Tasty ammini kozhakkatai is ready.
- Serve with tomato or onion chutney. In fact, it is excellent even without any side dish.
Image: Ammini Kozhukkatai
Photographs: Ranganayaki Varatharajan