Mango Recipe: Mambazha Pulissery
We had asked you, our readers to share your best mango recipes. Here's the first one we received from Manjula Nair.
The Mambazha Pulissery is a staple among Keralites, particularly during the summers.
The sweet, tangy and spicy flavour makes it a popular curry among young kids and the old alike.
Plus, it's easy to cook and requires very little oil.
If you happen to visit rural Kerala during summers, don't be surprised if you're served Mambazha Pulissery for lunch.
Here's the recipe:
- 2 to 4 ripe mangoes
- 1 cup yoghurt (preferably a bit sour)
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 3-4 green chilli
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 2 to 3 red chillis
- 1 tsp powdered fenugreek seeds (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar (optional)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Clean the mangoes well and chop them into 1 inch pieces (preferably with the skin). Peel if the skin is too thick or looks inedible.
- Be sure to leave some pulp around the seed when you chop. Do not discard the seed.
- In a grinder, add coconut, cumin seeds and green chillis and grind to a fine paste.
- Beat the yoghurt well to avoid lumps and keep it aside.
- Heat a deep bottom pan, pour two cups of water and add the cut mangoes along with the seed.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder and let it boil.
- When it comes to a boil, add the ground paste of coconut and mix well.
- When it boils, switch off the flame.
- Now add the yoghurt and stir well. Check for salt and consistency.
- Remember the consistency gets thicker over time. If the gravy is too thick, add a cup of boiled water and salt as per taste.
- Add sugar if the mangoes are not very sweet.
- In another pan, heat some oil. Add mustard seeds and powdered fenugreek seeds. Saute well.
- When they splutter, add curry leaves and red chilli. Empty this over the main curry.
- Pour a spoonful of coconut oil atop and serve hot with rice or roti.
Dear Readers, send us your best mango recipes to firstname.lastname@example.org (with subject line 'Best Mango Recipe').
We will publish these mouth-watering mango recipes on Rediff.com :)
Image: Mambazha Pulissery
Photographs: Courtesy Migrant Mallu