Applying for a student visa to Australia? Read this!
In the first part, counsellor Suchitra Surve of Growth Centre spoke about student life in Australia. In the second part, she offers a lowdown on the essentials you will require before applying for a student visa to Australia. Read on.
Australia has a reputation for having some of the world's leading education institutions.
With the likes of universities like University of Melbourne, Queensland, Sydney, Western Australia and New South Wales, students will experience a unique kind of education.
If you are not an Australian citizen, but want to take advantage of quality education and training system, you may apply for a student visa.
You can be granted a student visa only if you wish to undertake a registered course on a full-time basis. Australian student visa applications are processed by Australian High Commission, New Delhi. Students should apply for Pre-Visa Approval (PVA), at least two months prior to the date of commencement of their course.
Generally, an international student is issued with a multiple entry visa for the duration of their study course in Australia. This allows the student to travel to and from Australia within the period for which it has been granted. If the student wishes to extend their stay in Australia for further study s/he will need to lodge an application for a further visa.Recently, the Australian government relaxed its visa norms to encourage more Indian students to study in their country.
However, there are important things you should know before applying for, or being granted, an Australian student visa.
This includes information about:
- Applying for the right type of visa
- Application requirements
- Your obligations while staying in Australia
- The importance of complying with visa conditions.
Visa conditions you must be aware of
- After filling up the visa application form you must lodge it with the concerned authorities along with a copy of offer from the intended institute of study, supporting documentation specified in the form and payment of the visa application charge.
- Students must satisfy the student visa requirements depending on the varying nationality and principal course of study.
- You must undergo a Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA) before an eCoE(electronic Confirmation of Enrolment) is issued by the Australian education provider.
- You must provide your residential address to your education provider within seven days of your arrival in Australia and also advise them of any changes in the address within seven days.
- If you change your education provider, you must inform your current education provider within seven days of issue of an eCoE .
- Students should not work unless they have been granted permission to do so.
- Students must maintain Overseas Student Health (OSHC) cover while in Australia.
- Students should leave Australia before their visa expires.
A Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA) determines a student's eligibility for a student visa.
This involves obtaining a letter of offer from the chosen institution and submitting the visa application with all supporting documentation. If the assessment is favourable, the student will be issued with a PVA approval letter to give to his/her education provider authorising them to issue an eCoE.
Students will be also advised to pay the tuition fees and undergo medical tests. The student visa will be granted only after the eCoE and all other requirements are satisfied.
Mandatory documents you will require
- Additional Information Sheet
- Completed application form - 157A.
- Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)
- Letter of offer from the institution
- Copies of academic documents: certificates, diplomas, degrees and academic transcripts
- Reference letter from current employer and previous employer, if employed.
- Affidavit of support from sponsor
- Financial documents supporting sufficient funds required: bank statement, bank passbook for the last 6 months and current balance certificate, Income tax returns of the sponsor, property documents along with Valuation Report
- Bank loan sanction letter (if applicable)
- Four recent passport size photos
- Statement of Purpose
- Guardianship form, if the student is under 18 years of age
- English Proficiency test IELTS/ TOFEL
Australian visa fees $ 565 (28,000 INR approx). Visa Application fee is payable by Bank Draft favouring 'Australian High Commission' payable at New Delhi.