This Raksha Bandhan, give your sibling a present with a difference.
Here's a fun idea for a do-it-yourself Rakhi gift from the book Celebrate: Your Fun Festival Handbook Rakhi And Bhai Dooj:
Colourful paper * A pencil * Needle and thread * A ruler * Colour pencils, crayons * A pair of scissors * Lots of old memories
1. The first thing you need to do is write the story of your lives together. Write about the best memories you have with your siblings, your favourite hobbies, all your favourite foods, your favourite holidays, movies you love watching together, all of it!
2. According to the amount you have written, figure out the size of your book.
3. You will be folding the paper in half and sewing it up the middle, so the paper needs to be twice as long as you want each page to be.
4. Take a ruler and measure a line separating your pages exactly in half. Then place a dot at one-inch intervals so your stitching will be even.
5. Thread enough string so you have three times the line's length. Start at the bottom, leaving four inches of thread for tying a knot when you are finished. Now push the needle though the paper.
6. Go up the book following the line, with big stitches at every dot.
7. Once you reach the top, go back down following the line again. Reeat this one more time.
8. And hey presto! You have made a bound book which your sibling will treasure for the rest of his or her lives!
Excerpted with the permission of publishers Hachette India [ Images ] from Celebrate: Your Fun Festival Handbook Rakhi And Bhai Dooj.