With the Mumbai [ Images ] Marathon coming up on January 16, we take a look at just why running is the preferred method of keeping fit for many.
Who's to decide what the best form of exercise is? At the end of the day it's about making the right choice for you, taking into consideration your own capabilities and circumstances and then picking an option. Nevertheless, running, as it is, seems to be a popular choice. Let's address why.
Five reasons to run
- Health benefits: There is conclusive proof that running improves your health. For instance it is an excellent way to strengthen the heart and ensure there is efficient blood and oxygen flow throughout the body, which helps decrease your risk of a heart attack. Running improves your immune system so your bodily functions are more effective and efficient at fighting off germs.
- Weightloss: It's a great way to get into shape and knock off those extra kilos! You can choose to run on an even path or up and down a hill; if you go distances, you'll see the desired results.
- Running for a cause: It's marathon season, be it Delhi [ Images ] or New York and what better way to get started than for a cause? Running can also be a way of giving back to the society you live in. Many races benefit NGOs that do so much good around the world. Running for something that's bigger than you is a great way to stay motivated, to keep training and can make your races even more significant and rewarding.
- Meeting new people: While there are some folks who like to exercise on their own, running is a great way to form new friendships based on common grounds like fitness. If you have a regular group of people who run with you, or even just one friend, it helps in staying motivated too.
- Inexpensive and flexible: All one has to do is put on a good pair of shoes and head out the front door! If you're one to travel, what better way of getting to know a place than heading out for a discovery jog?
Clothes and gear
- As long as you're comfortable, a nice pair of tracks or shorts (depending upon the weather) and a tee-shirt are all you need in terms of clothes.
- Make sure you have a good pair of running shoes. This is important, so as to not cause any injuries (a common occurrence while running).
- If possible, carry along a small bottle of water; hydrating oneself while on a long walk or run is a good idea.