Your guests will love these homemade treats.
Chef Manvinder of Hyatt Regency, Lucknow shares some desi-style recipes for the festive season.
Be prepared to drool!
Khajur Aur Nariyal Ke Laddoo
- 100 gm dates, de-seeded
- 5 biscuits
- 3 tbsp dried coconut powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cut the dates into thin, long strips. Keep aside.
- Break the biscuits into small pieces (1 biscuit into approximately 20 pieces).
- Heat the butter in a pan. Add the chopped dates and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of the coconut powder.
- Saute for 10-15 seconds, then turn off the flame.
- While the date mixture is still hot, add the crushed biscuits and mix thoroughly (for about 2 minutes).
- Divide the mixture into 10 equal parts. Shape each part into a ball and flatten slightly. Roll each piece separately in the remaining 2 tbsp of coconut powder. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Green Peas and Corn Pinwheel
- 100 gm green peas
- 15 gm chaat masala
- 10 gm cumin
- 3 green chillies
- 20 gm corn
- 1 chopped onion
- 6 papri rolls
- 10 gm peanuts
- Wash green peas, saute with cumin green chillies onions, peanuts and set to cold.
- Take pinwheels of papri and stuffs the green pea mixture and press.
- Garnish with green coriander.
- Serve with mint chutney.
Baked Gur Sandesh
- 2 litre toned milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 50 gm gud (jaggery), grated
- 6 almonds, chopped finely
- Bring milk to the boil; turn off heat and add lemon juice. Stir until it curdles. If it does not curdle, add more lemon juice. Cover for two minutes.
- Strain through a muslin cloth, making sure all the liquid or whey is removed. What remains in the cloth is paneer.
- Preheat the oven at 160°C for 7-10 minutes.
- Put the warm paneer in a mixer and give it a quick whisk. Transfer in a mixing bowl. Now add the grated jaggery. Mash thoroughly, using your hand, until completely smooth, for approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Spread this mixture in an even layer, about half an inch thick, in a small baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes or until the surface turns golden brown. Garnish with almonds. Divide into 10 equal portions and serve.
Tofu Apple Salad
- 250 gm tofu
- 1 apple
- 10 gm chillies
- 15 ml soy sauce
- 10 ml sweet chilli sauce
- 15 ml orange juice
- 1 lemon juice
- 10 gm sprouts
- Deep fry tofu till golden brown.
- Cut thick slices of apple marinate with lemon and sugar.
- Make sauce with soy sweet chillies, orange juice.
- Arrange apple in bottom of plate and set tofu on top.
- Pour sauce on the top and garnish with sprouts.
Yoghurt Minted Beets
- 100 gm yoghurt
- 15 gm mint leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 2 beetroot
- 5 gm chaat masala
- 10 ml lemon juice
- Wash beetroot, slice thin even lengthwise.
- Blanch beets and soak in cold water.
- Make mixture of yogurt, chillies, coriander.
- Stuff yogurt mixture into beets and fold.
- Store in cold place.
- Make sauce lemon juice beets and chaat masala.
Do you have an interesting Diwali recipe that you'd like to share with us?
We will publish the best ones right here on Rediff.com.