|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
Bollywood supports Sanjay Dutt
December 06, 2006 17:14 IST
The Hindi film industry has decided to launch a signature campaign on December 12 to express their support to Sanjay Dutt who has been held guilty under the Arms Act for possessing weapons used in the 1993 bomb blasts case.
"We are grateful to Sanjay for his kind deeds and the help he extended to workers in the film industry. Hence, we are launching a signature campaign to express our feelings that Bollywood is with him in this moment of crisis," said Pahlaj Nihalani, film producer and President of Association of Motion Pictures and TV Programme Producers.
The signature campaign would last a day at Mumbai's Film City in suburban Goregaon, where members of the film industry -- from spot boys to actors, producers and directors -- will come together to support Sanjay.
"We do not have any intention to interfere with the court's order or influence the judiciary," Nihalani added. "The idea is to express our support to Sanjay, who has helped the film industry workers in the past, in whatever way he could. All I can say is that Sanjay is a nice person, always helpful to others and has already undergone punishment by spending time in jail and going to TADA court regularly for the last 13 years."
The producer further said that Bollywood welcomed the verdict to the extent that Sanjay had been exonerated of terrorism charges.
After pronouncing him guilty on November 28, the court gave Sanjay time to surrender till December 19 and will hear his argument before awarding punishment.