|Rediff India Abroad Home | All the sections|
SRK: Comparisons should never be made
Onkar Singh in New Delhi | December 04, 2006 19:11 IST
Tired of being asked about taking over from Amitabh Bachchan as the host of the television game show, Kaun Banega Crorepati, Shah Rukh Khan finally snapped and said that comparisons should never be made.
"You should not play down a person for the sake of playing up a person," SRK told a press conference in New Delhi on December 4 to announce the launch of KBC.
Thoughout his interaction with the media, SRK maintained his calm and replied to the questions with a touch of humour.
When a scribe asked him who the next Bollywood king would be, SRK answered that there was no vacancy. "You find a new king when the old one abdicates. At the moment, you have a king," he smiled.
Sameer Nair informed that the new show of 52 episodes will hit the small screen in January.
"We have signed a contract with him for two years," Sameer Nair told rediff.com
However, Nair was confident that the new reality show will attract the audience and Shah Rukh with his wit, charm, energy and style coupled with the rock-solid foundation of the show will come together with an extraordinary television viewing experience.
Nair evaded a reply when asked if the star was being twice the money that Amitabh Bachchan used to get. "All that I can say is that he will be paid adequately," he said.
Denying that the sharp decline in the TRP rating of KBC-2 had forced them to abandon the show mid way, Nair said: "This is not true. The show was doing better than the first KBC, but then Amitji fell ill. Then we experimented by showing old and new episodes and that is when the viewership fell and we decided to discontinue the show. It was in June that Amitji said he will not be able to do KBC and we started looking for the new host. The first name that came to our mind was SRK. We talked to him and he agreed to do it."
Nair clarified that the SMS controversy that had hit KBC 1 and 2 had been blown out of proportion by the media. "There was nothing in it. Allegations were made that some people got back to play the fastest finger first because they were Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited employees. But it died down quickly," he said.
On whether the channel planned to have Sachin Tendulkar and Karan Johar as celebrity guests on the show, he said: "We have not given it a thought. We will now sit down with Shah Rukh and decide."
Quizmaster Siddharth Basu said the marketing department had conducted a research on viewership of the show. "We have the figures. There is a sharp increase in the viewership in the age group of 18 to 35. And SRK would go well with them," he said.
Siddartha Basu's Synergy Communications will continue to produce KBC. Basu's company has entered into a deal with Celador, who conceptualised the show.