Read rules before complaining, ICC tells Dhoni
The International Cricket Council has advised India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni to read the rules related to UDRS before questioning the implementation of technology during the matches.
Dhoni, who is not in favour of using the Umpire Decision Review System, had yet again posed a question mark over the system following the controversy surrounding Ian Bell's decision in the tied World Cup game with England on Sunday.
"Adulteration of technology with human thinking is bad. That's why we didn't get that wicket. Hopefully, next time it will be either technology or human intention," Dhoni had said after the match.
ICC General Manager Dave Richardson said Dhoni should be aware of the rules before commenting.
"There are a set of rules along with the hawkeye to assist in making the decision when UDRS is implemented...Most of the time, a player is not fully aware of all the rules," Richardson said.
"If MS Dhoni is made aware of the specifications of these rules, then I am sure that he will accept the decision that was made," Richardson told CNN-IBN.
The TV replays had showed that the ball bowled by Yuvraj Singh would have hit stumps but umpires ruled not out even after the review of the call.
"If the Hawkeye says it's going to hit the stumps, then there is no reason (why an appeal should be turned down)," Dhoni had said.
UDRS is being used in the World Cup for the first time.
- Hussey declares himself fit - Click NEXT
Image: Yuvraj Singh appeals unsuccessfully against Ian Bell for LBW. The decision was then unsuccessfully reviewd by India
Hussey declares himself fit for recall
Australia's senior batsman Mike Hussey on Wednesday declared himself completely fit to join the team at the ongoing cricket World Cup if the selectors pick him as the much-awaited replacement for injured pacer Doug Bollinger.
Hussey, who was controversially overlooked in the initial squad owing to a hamstring injury, said he is completely injury-free now.
"I have been trying hard to take my focus away from playing in the cricket World Cup but I am over my hamstring injury and will be ready if the selectors give me the call," Hussey said.
"I am really confident of getting through Western Australia's upcoming Sheffield Shield match against Queensland and feel I am right on track," the 35-year-old added.
The left-hander is waiting to hear from the selectors, who are still pondering over who to pick as Bollinger's replacement.
"I'd love the chance to play in the World Cup, but I think the selectors have made the right call to wait and see how we go over the next game or two before sending someone over to replace Doug Bollinger.
"Everyone's going really well at the moment so there is no need to rush into that decision. Hopefully, by holding off we can get a better idea of what we might need to improve on later in the tournament," he said.
Hussey said if called back into the side, he would have no issues in settling down at the mega-event, which is being co-hosted by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Australia have so far played two group stage matches and have won both (against Zimbabwe and New Zealand).
"As frustrating as it's been to miss out so far at the World Cup, I still can't help but feel like I'm part of the team back at home," Hussey told the Fox Sports website.
"Even though I am not over on the subcontinent, when you have been a part of a group for such a long time you still feel a strong sense of connection to the team," he added.
- Malinga cherishes first 'trick' more - Click NEXT
Image: Mike Hussey
Malinga cherishes first 'trick' more
Sri Lanka fast bowler Lasith Malinga says his hat-trick against South Africa in the 2007 World Cup was more satisfying than the one he claimed against Kenya in Colombo on Tuesday.
Malinga, playing his first match of the 2011 World Cup finished with a career-best six for 38 as Sri Lanka crushed Kenya by nine wickets.
"I cherish my performance against South Africa where I got four wickets in four balls more. They needed something like four runs with five wickets remaining in that game and I got four wickets without conceding a run and that's against a very good side," Malinga said, referring to the Super Eight game in the 2007 World Cup in Guyana.
South Africa were cruising at 206 for five, chasing a target of 210, when Malinga dismissed Shaun Pollock, Andrew Hall, Jacques Kallis and Makaya Ntini in four balls to bring Sri Lanka right back into the game.
In the end, the Proteas won by one wicket.
Today, Malinga's victims were Tanmay Mishra, Peter Ongondo and Shem Ngoche with all three batsmen failing to deal with Malinga's toe-crushing yorkers.
"This one is special in the sense I got my best bowling effort in this game including a hat-trick. I am happy with that. Against Australia on Saturday I have to start it all over again and I am looking forward for the challenge.
"I watched a lot as of Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis those days. How they bowled with the older ball to devastating effect. I liked their style and I wanted emulate them bowling fast. Today the wicket here was a bit slow and I thought rather than bowling fast to bowl a few yorkers and that worked really well," Malinga said.
Sri Lanka rested Malinga for their opening two games, saying that they were concerned to risk him as he was recovering from a back strain.
He said he could have played the last game against Pakistan, but opted out following medical advice.
"The physios felt that I could risk an injury had I played any of the previous games. They felt that if I pick up an injury, I could be ruled out for a longer period of time. Now that I am fully recovered, I am looking forward to play all matches of the World Cup."
Kenya were progressing nicely having reached 102 for two with the Obuya brothers, Collins and David, making half-centuries. But with the introduction of Malinga they collapsed.
Kenya captain Jimmy Kamande paid tribute to the way Malinga bowled.
"We were looking for 230, but things did not work out. We were in a good position for 35 overs, but then the damage happened. If the Obuyas could have been there till the end, things could have been different. We have seen Malinga before, he's a world-class bowler," Kamande said.
- Samuels confirms rejecting World Cup berth - Click NEXT
Image: Lasith Malinga
Samuels confirms rejecting World Cup berth
West Indies batsman Marlon Samuels has confirmed that he refused an offer to replace the injured Dwayne Bravo in the Caribbean team's World Cup squad in the sub-continent.
Samuels, who was banned for two years for passing on information to bookmakers, said he was approached by selectors to replace Bravo but turned down the offer because he is not yet ready for a comeback to international cricket.
"First of all, I want to say thanks to the regional selectors for sitting down and thinking about selecting me for the World Cup. I am honoured to get such a phone call," Samuels was quoted as saying by a Caribbean FM radio station.
"But as I had said in interviews before the start of the tournament, I want to, at this moment, focus on four-day and not one-day cricket, and try to be out there in the sun for hours on top of hours. I am doing that at the moment.
"However, despite this, I still don't think I am 100 per cent ready and I want to be honest with myself. I hope the selectors understand and respect my decision," added the 30-year-old.
However, according to a report in The Trinidad Express, the tainted Samuels rejected the opportunity as he feared being arrested in India, one of the co-hosts of the mega-event along with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Samuels represented West Indies in 29 Tests and 103 ODIs before being slapped with a two-year ban by the ICC in May 2006 for his alleged involvement with bookmakers.
Guyana leg-spinner Davendra Bishoo replaced Bravo in the squad and when contacted, the West Indies Cricket Board neither confirmed nor denied the reason for Samuels' refusal.
Samuels, who has so far scored three centuries and a 50 since returning to regional four-day cricket, however said that he was looking forward to playing against India and Pakistan in the upcoming Digicel home series.
"I am definitely looking to play in the upcoming Digicel homes series, so hopefully, I will continue on the road that I am and continue to score centuries," he said.
Image: Marlon Samuels