Former England opening batsman Marcus Trescothick has withdrawn from his county side's pre-season tour of the United Arab Emirates after the recurrence of a stress-related illness, the club said on Saturday.
The 32-year-old has not played for England since withdrawing from tours to India and Australia in 2006 due to the illness, which he described last September as stress related.
He had been restricted to appearing for Somerset domestically but his county said he had been forced to withdraw from their planned 12-day trip to Dubai after the illness recurred shortly before the team left the United Kingdom.
"Marcus took the decision himself and the club are fully supportive," Somerset chief executive Richard Gould said in a statement on the club's web site.
"He has returned home to Taunton to be with his family and we look forward to him playing a full part in our season."
Trescothick said last September he would only return to international duty if he is completely ready.
England all-rounder Paul Collingwood said the team had been told about the incident after the third day's play of the second test against New Zealand in Wellington.
"It's just really sad isn't it," Collingwood told reporters.
"I think he should just forget about the cricket to be honest with you.
"I just want Marcus to get himself right and forget about whether he is going to play for England again or to go away with Somerset. Just get himself right for his own sake really.
"We can be very selfish and ask will he ever play for England again, but it doesn't really matter because we need to get him right.
"All of our thoughts go out to him."
Trescothick averages almost 44 in 76 Tests and more than 37 in 123 one-day internationals.