rediff.com

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp

Available on  

Rediff News  All News 
Rediff.com  » Cricket » WT20 snapshots: Parnell to appear in Mumbai court; Gayle delays big-hitting

WT20 snapshots: Parnell to appear in Mumbai court; Gayle delays big-hitting

Last updated on: March 26, 2014 16:09 IST

WT20 snapshots: Parnell to appear in Mumbai court; Gayle delays big-hitting

     Next

Next

South African all-rounder Wayne Parnell has been released from the squad for a mandatory court appearance in Mumbai meaning the player will miss Thursday's World Twenty20 clash against Netherlands, the team said on Wednesday.

Parnell and his then Pune team mate Rahul Sharma were arrested after a drugs raid at a Mumbai party during the 2012 Indian Premier League. Both players have denied any wrongdoing and were subsequently granted bail.

- Also read: 12 Bollywood movies that celebrate sporting success

"We were made aware before the T20 WC [World Cup] that Wayne would have to travel to India to appear in court as a matter of procedure and we have made provisions for this in our planning," team manager Mohammed Moosajee said in a statement.

"It's unfortunate to lose him for a game in the middle of an important tournament but we must respect the law. Furthermore, Wayne has expressed no wrongdoing, so we hope that the case can be concluded as soon as possible."

Parnell will rejoin the team on Friday, a day before the team's Super 10 Group One match against England.

His manager Donne Commins said it would be just a procedural appearance.

"Mr Parnell has been called to appear before the court in India purely for procedural purposes in relation to the courts ongoing administration of the case concerned," Commins said.

"Our understanding is that there will be no substantive enquiries made of him at the hearing, nor will the matter be progressed otherwise than as a matter of procedure."

- Please click NEXT for more...


Image: Wayne Parnell
Photographs: Getty Images

     Next

WT20 snapshots: Parnell to appear in Mumbai court; Gayle delays big-hitting

Prev     Next
Prev

Next

The good news for rival bowlers is Chris Gayle has abandoned his onslaught-from-the outset approach. The bad news: the West Indies opener has decided to delay his big-hitting so he can explode in the later stages.

- World T20 Points Table

Many observers believe the West Indies are taking a huge gamble by taming a wild force with a strategy that could make or break their World Twenty20 title defence in Bangladesh.

The swashbuckling opener recently joked he made Sohag Gazi a household name by hitting the Bangladeshi off-spinner for a six off the first ball of a Test match in Dhaka.

More than a year later, Gayle's recent batting philosophy has been to shun such extravagance and preserve his aggression for a delayed assault.

Worryingly for his team, the ploy has not really worked so far in the sport's showcase Twenty20 tournament.

Gayle managed just about run-a-ball scores of 34 and 48 in the defeat against India and the victory against Bangladesh, respectively. He was dropped twice in the match against India, the first before he could open his account.

Those runs came at a strike rate that fails to justify the flamboyant southpaw's stature as arguably the most destructive batsman in Twenty20 cricket.

Also, it has shifted the onus on his opening partner Dwayne Smith to provide the flying start Gayle had performed until his batting approached changed.

Gayle's sheer presence, that expressionless countenance, has intimidated rival bowlers but West Indies would badly need him to hit the kind of form he is famous for if they are to retain their World Twenty20 title.

Smith was certain Gayle would be back to his explosive best before long.

- Please click NEXT for more...


Image: Chris Gayle
Photographs: Reuters

Prev     Next

West Indies' Shillingford can resume bowling

Prev     More
Prev

More

West Indies' Shane Shillingford was allowed by the ICC to resume bowling in international after undergoing remedial work but the off-spinner has been barred from bowling his 'doosra' delivery.

Shillingford was reported at the end of second day’s play in the Mumbai Test against India in November and was tested on November 29 last year at the UWA.

All his delivery types were assessed as illegal and he was suspended from bowling in international cricket, and subsequently underwent remedial work to modify his action.

ICC said that Shillingford's off-break and arm balls were re-tested at the University of Western Australia (UWA) in Perth on March 4 and the elbow extension measured for each of his deliveries was within the 15-degree level of tolerance permitted under the ICC Regulations for the Review of Bowlers Reported with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions.

Shillingford’s bowling action will continue to be scrutinised by match officials to ensure it remains legal, according to ICC.

- Please click NEXT for more...


Image: Shane Shillingford
Photographs: Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

Prev     More