Nearly six years after Board of Control for Cricket in India imposed a life ban on Mohammed Azharuddin for his alleged involvement in match-fixing, former Board secretary Jaywant Lele on Thursday demanded immediate lifting of the ban on the player saying 'there was no evidence against Azhar'.
"The BCCI has committed a great injustice towards Azhar by imposing a life ban without any solid evidence," Lele said and blamed the then Board president A C Muthiah and K M Ram Prasad, members of the 3-member Disciplinary Committee, for taking the 'wrong' decision.
Lele, who was the BCCI secretary when the Board announced its decision against Azhar on December 5, 2000 following probes by CBI and the Madhavan committee, said no investigating body had ever found any concrete evidence against Azhar in the match-fixing scandal.
"In its report, CBI only suspected Azhar to be involved in the scandal for his frequent telephonic talks with a bookie. But this can't prove that hehad fixed matches," he claimed.
Taking exception to the committee's decision to impose life ban on Azhar and Ajay Sharma, and a five-year ban on Ajay Jadeja, Manoj Prabhakar and the then team physio Ali Irani, Lele said the decision against Azhar was too harsh, and all those reportedly found guilty of their alleged close contacts and nexus with bookies/punterscould have been let off with imposition of fine.
Talkingto UNI in Vadodara, Lele said, "Since Azhar had already served six years ban without any proof, now the BCCI must withdraw the ban on him despite the ICC's reservation on the issue."
Lelealso welcomed the BCCI's recent stand on Azhar and its decision to invite him to the new Board building inauguration function in Mumbai.
On ICC chief Malcom Speed's recent statement on the Azhar issue, the former BCCI secretary charged the International cricket governing body with maintaining a double standard in the matter of betting and match-fixing.