How does Anil Kumble compare with the other India coaches this century?
Kumble, who took over in June last year, decided not to renew his contract after he claimed that the 'partnership between him and captain Virat Kohli was untenable and hence it was best to move on'.
The legendary leg-spinner was one of India's most successful coaches with a win percentage of 70 in Tests and 61 in One-Day Internationals.
Rajneesh Gupta presents the numbers on Kumble's tenure:
India under Kumble:
- Beat the West Indies 2-0 in the West Indies, July-August 2016.
- Beat New Zealand 3-0 at home, September-October 2016.
- Beat England 4-0 at home, November-December 2016.
- Beat Bangladesh 1-0 at home, February 2017.
- Beat Australia 2-1 at home, February-March 2017.
- Beat New Zealand 3-2 at home, October 2016.
- Beat England 2-1 at home, January 2017.
- Runners-up in the ICC Champions Trophy, England, June 2017.
- Lost to the West Indies 1-0, Florida, USA, August 2016.
- Beat England 2-1 at home, January-February 2017.
Summary of results:
India's showing under different coaches since 2000:
The coach's role assumed significane after John Wright became India's first overseas coach in 2000.
The New Zealander's stint spanned five years before he was replaced by Greg Chappell.
The Aussie batting legend lasted nearly two years before he was sacked after India's first round departure in the 2007 World Cup.
|John Wright||November 2000 to April 2005||51||20||15||16||39.22|
|Greg Chappell||June 2005-March 2007||18||7||4||7||38.89|
|Gary Kirsten||March 2008-April 2011||33||16||6||11||48.48|
|Duncan Fletcher||April 2011-March 2015||39||13||17||9||33.33|
|Ravi Shastri||June 2015-March 2016||8||5||1||2||62.50|
|Anil Kumble||June 2016-June 2017||17||12||1||4||70.59|
Coaches performing the task as a stop-gap arrangement have not been included.
Ravi Shastri's official designation was Team Director. He assumed the role of head coach as well after Duncan Fletcher's stint ended. His figures do not include the period overlapping with Fletcher.