Indian Cricket League (ICL) on Tuesday unveiled its ninth city-based team, Dhaka Warriors, for its second season starting October 10, a move which would plunge Bangladesh cricket into crisis.
The Dhaka-based team to be led by former Bangladesh captain Habib-ul-Bashar and coached by 1983 World Cup winner Balwinder Singh Sandhu will take part in ICL 20s Championship to be played in four venues -- Panchkula, New Delhi, Gurgaon and Ahmedabad -- from October 10.
"Last year, we brought Lahore Badshah into our fold, this year we have the Dhaka Warriors. It is only getting bigger and we are working on bringing teams from other countries next year," ICL executive Board Chairman Kapil Dev said a press conference in New Delhi.
The newest team, whose 13 members were announced on Tuesday, will also take part in the four-team ICL World Series tournament as ICL Bangladesh between November 23 to 30.
Besides Bashar, two current Bangladesh players -- opening batsman Shahriar Nafees and wicket-keeper Dhiman Ghosh -- and Alok Kapali, were introduced.
The nine other Bangladeshi players, who have signed contracts with ICL risking a ban from their board, were current Bangladesh players Aftab Ahmed and Farhad Reza, Manjural Islam, Mabud Chowdhury, Mahboob-ul-Karim, Mohammad Rafique, Mohammad Sharif, Mosharraf Hossain and Tapash Baisya.
Bashar confirmed that six of them -- Aftab Ahmed, Farhad Reza, Mosharraf Hossain, Dhiman Ghosh, Shahriar Nafis, besides himself -- have informed the Bangladesh Cricket Board about their retirement to join the ICL.
"We have written to the board that we are quitting. But if the board says we can still play for the country we are happy to do that," he said.