Mushfiqur Rahim has declined to step down as captain after Bangladesh's demoralising 2-0 Test series defeat in South Africa, instead leaving it to the country's cricket board to decide on his future.
The long-serving Bangladesh skipper has come under heavy criticism for the two heavy losses with critics questioning his decision to field first on batting-friendly pitches in both Potchefstroom and Bloemfontein.
"When the team does really well, all the credit goes to the management and when we are not doing well, all the blame comes to the captain. I can take it," Mushfiqur told reporters after South Africa won the second Test by an innings and 254 runs on Sunday.
"Obviously all the blame comes to me being the captain. The board will decide about me, since there's a lot of time before the next Test series.
"It is not about what I want. I can't decide to stay as captain, neither can I leave it. The board has to take the decision and I am sure they will take a good one for the team. Country comes first, not the individual."
The 30-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman has captained Bangladesh in 34 Tests since 2011.
Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Nazmul Hassan was another to express surprise at Mushfiqur's decision to field after winning both tosses, with the skipper saying he had always tried to lead the team from the front.
"Captaincy is always challenging, more so in a team like ours. We are ranked number nine or 10 always, so there's a lot of pressure playing against top sides," Mushfiqur added.
"The last two Tests didn't go as the last couple of years have gone.
"The blame is coming at me, because I decided to field first in both Tests. Maybe I haven't been leading properly and that's why the team isn't doing well.
"This is why I am saying that I should be given opportunity to correct my mistakes."
Bangladesh are currently ranked ninth but have emerged as a strong force at home, picking up maiden Test victories against England and Australia in the last 12 months. Mushfiqur also led the side to a Test victory away to Sri Lanka in March.
Stay away from unapproved events like IJPL T20: BCCI
The BCCI on Monday asserted that junior leagues like IJPL and JIPL do not have their approval and strict action would be taken against any player found participating in the "unapproved tournaments".
Indian Junior Players League T20 was held in Dubai last month from September 19-29.
BCCI also confirmed that big names like Gautam Gambhir, who promoted the unrecognised IJPL T20, have withdrawn support from the tournament.
"It has come to our attention that certain T20 cricket matches, series, tournaments and/or camps are being conducted by leagues under the names of Indian Junior Players League ("IJPL") and Junior India Player League/Junior Indian League ("JIPL")," BCCI said in a statement.
"This is to bring to your notice that any matches, camps tournament and/or series organised by IJPL and JIPL (collectively the "Leagues") or any activity undertaken by the said Leagues are not being conducted by the BCCI/Indian Premier League ("IPL") and are in no way associated with any activities undertaken or approved by the BCCI/IPL or their representatives.
"Please note that any player registered with the BCCI knowingly participating, representing or associating himself/herself with IJPL and JIPL in any manner is doing so without the consent of BCCI would be doing so in violation of the BCCI Rules and Regulations," the board warned.
The BCCI further said Indian players like Gambhir and Rishi Dhawan have nothing do with these unsanctioned events anymore.
"Do note that the players who had been associated with any one of the Leagues in the past i.e. Gautam Gambhir, Paras Dogra and Rishi Dhawan have stated in writing that they have withdrawn all support and are no longer associated with the said unapproved Leagues," the statement added.