The Board of Control for Cricket in India on Thursday withdrew the official complaint with the International Cricket Council against Australian captain Steve Smith and Peter Handscomb for seeking help from the dressing room on a Decision Review System (DRS) call during the recently-concluded second Test in Bengaluru.
Earlier in the day, the BCCI had registered an official complaint trying to press Level 2 charge against Smith and Handscomb for violating spirit of the game.
BCCI CEO Rahul Johri had a meeting with his Australian counterpart James Sutherland in Mumbai after which the two Boards issued a joint statement saying they have "resolved to restore focus on the ongoing series amidst the increased attention towards issues which have emanated during the course of the 2nd Test match in Bangalore."
It was decided that the two teams would bring the focus back to the cricket, while the two captains -- Virat Kohli and Steve Smith -- would meet ahead of the third Test in Ranchi and 'commit to lead their teams by example and play the rest of the series, in the right spirit.'
"BCCI and CA have resolved to restore focus on the ongoing series amidst the increased attention towards issues which have emanated during the course of the 2nd Test match in Bangalore," a joint press release by the two Boards stated.
Johri and Sutherland agreed the importance of bringing back the focus to the game and end the current crisis.
"A series between India and Australia is bound to generate considerable excitement for fans in both the countries. On the field the two teams are fierce competitors who represent their countries with pride. As we have seen this week in Bangalore, with so much at stake, tensions can bubble over.
"We are half way through what has already been a riveting series - and there is still much to look forward to. In discussing the relevant issues in depth, we have agreed that it is in the best interests of the game to put these differences aside and clear the way for the focus to be on the cricket, and the remaining matches of the series," Sutherland said.
Johri also admitted that they withdrew the complaint to ensure that 'the rest of the series, which promises a great cricketing contest, not be comprised'.
"India has always cherished a contest with Australia and over the years, the performances of both, the teams and the players, are testimony to the level of competitiveness that exists between these two teams.
"While having responded officially to one such incident which happened in the last Test, together, we believe that the focus of the teams and the joy they provide to the fans, should not be diluted and it is imperative to ensure that the rest of the series, which promises a great cricketing contest, not be compromised," the BCCI CEO said.