More than three years after the Mumbai terror attacks resulted in the snapping of Indo-Pak cricket ties, the BCCI on Friday said it has no objection to a team from Pakistan participating in the Champions League Twenty20 for the first time.
The November 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai had not only led to a freeze on bilateral cricket ties between the two neighbours but had also resulted in Pakistani players being left out of the lucrative Indian Premier League.
"The Working Committee has decided to invite a team from Pakistan to play in Champions League Twenty20 to be held in October," BCCI President N Srinivasan said.
The decision means that Sialkot Stallions led by Shoaib Malik would be Pakistan's representatives in the October event as it had won the domestic T20 title.
"This is a recommendation that the BCCI will make to Governing Council. CLT20 is owned by BCCI, Cricket Australia, and Cricket South Africa. So we will recommend to the GC that the BCCI has no objection and is prepared to invite a Pakistan team in the Champions League," he added.
"CLT20 will be played in India. As fat as inviting a Pakistani team is concerned, it will be done by the Governing Council. The BCCI will make the recommendation to the Governing Council which will decide on the matter."
The move is expected to be received with much applause from across the border as the Pakistan Cricket Board had been pushing for the inclusion of its sides since the inaugural edition of the Champions League in 2009.
Apart from this, the BCCI decided that former cricketers will get one-time benefit from the proceeds of the IPL.
The Board has also decided to set up an anti-corruption unit which will have "strict rules" besides having a pitch curators committee.