Rediff India Abroad
 Rediff India Abroad Home  |  All the sections

Search:



The Web

India Abroad




Newsletters
Sign up today!

Get news updates:
  
Mobile Downloads
Text 67333
Article Tools
Email this article
Top emailed links
Print this article
Contact the editors
Discuss this Article

Home > India > Cricket > Report


Langeveldt pulls out of India tour

March 18, 2008 22:31 IST

South Africa fast bowler Charl Langeveldt withdrew on Tuesday from next month's tour to India after his selection had caused controversy.

Langeveldt, who is black, was included in the squad earlier this month ahead of the white Andre Nel [Images] in accordance with Cricket South Africa's (CSA) racial transformation policy.

"Charl Langeveldt called me today (Tuesday) in an emotional state saying he wanted to withdraw from the tour so he can consider his international future in the right frame of mind," CSA chief executive Gerald Majola said in a news release.

"He said the public controversy over the selection of the team to tour India had upset him to the extent he would not be in the right frame of mind to tour India and do his best."

Nel had reacted angrily to his omission and threatened to quit international cricket as the issue made big headlines in the local media.

Majola said he tried to convince Langeveldt of his worth to South African cricket.

"I have assured Charl he is very much in the Proteas's plans and is regarded as one of our best fast bowlers in one-day international and test cricket," said Majola.

"We will have in-depth discussions with him and hopefully he will continue to be available for international selection."




Advertisement
Advertisement